We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM rainy days trip?

texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VIM rainy days trip?

We arrive Saturday and it looks like we may be in for a significant amount of time with rain. What are your recommendations for things to do at the resort (other than the obvious with your sweetie) when the rain is coming down? Is the beach bar open if lightning is not an issue? Anyone have any suggestions of where to hang out etc?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

We are looking at going in September so I have thought about this topic!

We figured if it is raining we can have long dinners at the a la cartes...hang out in the room/on our balcony/in our jacuzzi tub, reading and watching movies and ordering room service....hang out in the lobby and bars....take a taxi to Akumal or Puerto Morelos to dive and snorkel....do a cave tour or cenote cavern dive....go into PDC for shopping....or go to the spa.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

I am getting so many conflicting things, we arrive Sunday and most people are saying the rain will be gone...but now you say you are arriving Saturday and expect to have a signifigant amount of time with rain....aye aye aye! RAIN GO AWAY!

texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

Just trying to go with whatever it turns out to be. We have always been really lucky this time of year and as a beach lover I am spoiled. Giving myself a pep talk about fun times regardless of the weather, but really never had to think about things to when it rains at a resort. We just always hang under the palapa with a beverage because you can really only get so wet and the showers have passed pretty quickly..... New to the VIM so hoping for experienced rainy day folks will pitch in about how the resort is.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,426 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

I travel in the rainy season EVERY year. Knock on wood (*taps on desk*), I've been pretty lucky with the weather but have experienced a day or two of constant rain.

However, my strategy is to hope for the best but plan for the worst. In the week or so before I leave, prepare for the possibility of extended rain by downloading a couple of new novels to my Kindle and making up a couple of "rainy afternoon in the tub" playlists on my iPod (the VIM's shower get makes a great bubble bath). I also load up my tablet with crosswords, puzzles, games etc. (especially the variety designed for two) and throw a pack of playing cards into my luggage.

The ONLY weather site I check in the week or so leading up to my trip is the National Hurricane one - weather issues significant enough to delay my flight is something I do want to be aware of.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

Shopping in Playa in heavy rain is actually quite nice. It is not as hot and the shopkeepers are not outside or hanging in the doorways calling to you.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

Okay, so if you are in a swimsuit, why not go swimming in the water? Sit under the palapa and read a good book.

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

treat yourself to a wonderful massage at the jungle spa in puerto morelos!! The cab fare and cost there is still less than at the resort, and the raves are not for nothing. P.s....the cab driver will be happy to wait for yo or come back at a designated time. If the weather breaks for awhile, then just cab it into town square. a beautiful village, and try tacos.com

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

Anyone familiar with OCTOBER?? Horrible time to visit?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

We've been to Mexico a couple of times when the weather has been awful. And I mean grey skies and torrential downpours for days and days. It does get depressing for sure. I mean it wasn't the kind of rain you could sit under a palapa and still enjoy or even have a jacuzzi on the balcony because it was just pouring. But we definitely got tons of sleep and watched lots of movies. You just gotta keep all those fingers and toes crossed and you will see a break in that horrible sky and a glimpse of sun eventually. One of our trips we did 9 days and 5 were a shut out. Still managed to get some sun and my husband spent lots of time at the spa!! There is always something to do and lots to eat!! But lets hope this rain finally comes to end soon so all you's can enjoy lots of sunny days!! We leave June 27...fingers and toes crossed :)

10. Re: VIM rainy days trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto