We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Leeds
Level Contributor
221 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Hi. We love the VIM but I wondered where else you have stayed that was as good - not in Mexico but around the world in case I can persuade my husband to holiday somewhere other than Mexico or Greece.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Check out the Paradisus Rio de Oro in Holguin, Cuba! Best AI in Cuba. :)

Mentioned in this post
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Paradisus Rio de Oro...
5,670 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

We are going to the VIM in 2 weeks on June 29th for 10 days.

I'm looking forward to my February 2015 vacation in Jamaica.

Doing a week at Sandals Whitehouse than going over to Couples Swept Away in Negril for another week.

Of course the Valentin costs me $4,000 for both of us for 10 days and the Jamaica trip cost me $13,000.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,538 Reviews
Jamaica
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,706 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

oh, OUCH! Jamaica is SO overpriced for their AIs.

We went for under $1000 each to Negril for a week but it was non AI and on a great sale. (From Regina.)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Rissask, we went for two weeks to Jamaica in the Montego Bay RIU for $3403 for two, including airfare and ground connections. Didn't think that was too bad - complete AI, and the air was from Portland, Oregon, which is a pretty long flight. For us, it compares very closely to most Mexico resort destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Without knowing what you loved so much about the Valentin it's hard to say for sure. I know you said not in Mexico but we love Puerto Vallarta almost as much as the Riviera Maya side. We've been to VIM 3 times & loved it but if you really want to step up the service & pampering you could experience the opposite coast for a change & look into Casa Velas. It's much smaller but the service, food, cocktails, etc were the best we've experienced so far. The beach isn't as nice but the green mountains that meet the ocean & the sunsets almost make up for it.

I know you're coming from a different country so the pricing might vary but we found our trip to Casa Velas for less than what we could have gone to VIM for.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
1,703 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Leeds
Level Contributor
221 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Thanks all, Cuba is definitely on the list of places to go to. Jamaica - maybe not at those prices!!

Kellyanddoug - I'd not thought about other parts of Mexico but thank you I'll explore that. What I like about the VIM is that it feels spacious and uncrowned, the landscaping is amazing and the wildlife is an added bonus. We thought the service was exceptionally good and enjoyed the no reservations aspect. The beach is lovely and the lazy river pool nicely quiet and relaxing. But, we've never stayed in any other AI so have nothing to compare it with.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

We've only stayed AI when traveling internationaly so we were blown away with the Casa Velas service when we compared it to how much we paid for the trip. When people want different areas than the Riviera Maya but want good service I feel compelled to recommend it. The service was over the top good as in before you even selected a beach or pool chair someone was there with towels and an iced down bucket of water asking which drink you wanted and if any food menus were needed.

Either way good luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

I think, but not sure, that Puerto Vallarta is a little harder for Brits to get to easily. If it wasn't so difficult for Brits to get to I would suggest Secrets in Huatulco, beautiful area, better weather and more authentic Mexico without the Walmarts, Burger Kings and Starbucks.

Don't know your budget, but one of the Sandals in St. Lucia may be an option and easier for you to get to.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

Since I have been to Jamaica's Riu and VIM, you can't compare the Riu brand to VIM. They are in different class be it in Jamaica or Mexico. Even the Riu Palace brand does not come close to VIM. Somebody here is comparing apples and oranges.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other AIs as good as the VIM...

They are flying Brits to PV now on more charters. So it is a good suggestion.

The only drawback to PV imo is that the beaches are not the best on the Pacific coast. But, Brits have a harder time getting to Zihua or Huatulco, so PV it might have to be- and other than the so-so beaches in the bay, PV is great.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto