We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightlife at the VIM

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
nightlife at the VIM

I understand there is no disco at the VIM, so I'm wondering about the dancing and music they have outside in the courtyard. Is it usually nightly that they have this going, and do you find it is lively and fun? Not looking for a crazy party atmosphere or anything like that, but hoping for some nightlife for awhile after dinner.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightlife at the VIM

It's been few years since we've been there (going back in a few months), but they had a live band til I think 10:00 or 11:00 then a DJ. Always people in the plaza and I really enjoyed being under the stars. The sports bar also seemed to have quite a few people there in the evening. Several TVs and a pool table (or 2). There's also Don Miguel's for a more quiet, relaxed, have a cocktail, atmosphere.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nightlife at the VIM

Can anyone that has recently been to VIM give insight on the night life? Do they have place to dance and party at night with a DJ or is it pretty quiet?

Edited: 26 June 2014, 23:31
Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nightlife at the VIM

The VIM is not known for being a party place. The evening schedule usualy goes like this:

8pm- a nightly show in the theater. The is a Michael Jackson show( nice but cheesy), circus show( worth seeing), etc.

Friday eve (weather permitting) is a fire show at the beach.

Two nights there is a dinner buffet outdoors with a mexican show, and the other a carribean show.

One eve is a mayan show, not to be missed.

The shows usually end at about 9 ish. After that, there is the Imperial Band, usually in the plaza (weather permitting). Great to have an evening drink and dance. The band this past January was more rock than the previous Imperial band. Much better in my opinion. Sometimes there is a dj after that. a couple of nights they have vendors in the plaza selling their goods. Bargain like hell, walk away and then you will get the best proce.

There is no disco (hate that 80's term) such as at other resorts.

You also have a sports bar with billiard tables etc.

I think it is at don miguels, but sometimes there was a vocalist or sax player. Good for romantic nightcap.

Most everything gets quiet by 11 p.m.

Hope this fills you in. It is a great resort and that is why we keep going back. You will be entertained, but if you want a wild time, you have to go into cancun for mega clubs.

Lafayette
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nightlife at the VIM

Where exactly is the "plaza". I'm staying in a silver suite, and I don't particularly want to hear music every night, is this a concern I should be worried about? Also, on the two nights you mentioned dinner buffet options, how is the seating for this? Like a cruise ship, big tables, or can a couple find a table to themselves? Not anti social, but I'm not really into the big table thing at dinner. Thanks for the help

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nightlife at the VIM

Hey all, I am currently here and we are having a fabulous time.

milo - I am in the Silver suites building # 2. It is a great location. The plaza is located in the center of the main building where the majority of the restaurants are located. If you go online to the VIM web site you will see it is #26 on their map.... or check out this link from their site.

valentinmaya.com/Downloads/…20JAN8.14.pdf

I have stopped by once in the evening to enjoy the entertainment and dance in the open courtyard so far. The band is pretty good! Sure get the people moving and the guests are dancing nightly. Last night the dance floor was full,,,

Edited: 27 June 2014, 12:37
Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nightlife at the VIM

The plaza in near the restaurants. You should not hear the music from your room. The dinner buffets are large round tables, I think they seat 8-10 people. You can always watch the show and still eat at one of the restaurants.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nightlife at the VIM

The plaza is a few (3 min) walk from the silver buildings. We always stay in them as it is such a short walk after dancing. The entertainment at the VIM is just what we like, fun and not crazy. The Imperial Band does a good job with popular rock and they also have good interaction with the audience. My wife sang with them onl our last trip.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nightlife at the VIM

GH - just to report what is happening tonight.. the resort is hopping with entertainment. The Imperial Band came through again and the dance floor in the plaza was again full of guests enjoying the show.

The variety of bars available in the evenings is great

We had a quiet drink after dinner in the air conditioned Don Miguel then went to enjoy a few of the Band set in the Plaza.

Didn't make it to the Beach bar tonight but it is definitely on the radar for tomorrow evening! I like the iidea of enjoying a beverage at the beach with the wind and sound of the waves.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 05:51
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nightlife at the VIM

-thanks to everyone for all that, that's very helpful! It sounds great.

Victoriabound, please let us know how it was at the Beach bar if you go there tonight!

Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nightlife at the VIM

We will be there in one week! I'm interested in the beach bar in evening too!! How late is it open?

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto