We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
502 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

I'm planning a scuba trip to Cozumel while staying at the VIM in a couple of weeks. My dive buddies (also staying at the VIM) and I have been instructed by the dive operator to take the 8 a.m. ferry from Playa to Cozumel so that we can be at the dive boat in Cozumel by 9 o'clock. My questions are what time will we need to leave VIM in order to be at the PDC ferry dock before 8 and what's the best mode of transit to PDC (bus? taxi? Etc.)? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

I'd take a taxi and I would estimate it would take 30 - 40 minutes or so and will cost 300 pesos (1 - 4 people)

The other option would be a collectivo but I don't like relying on them when I have a deadline unless I'm in a position to allow a fair amount of extra time (collectivos don't run on any set schedule - at least none that I've figured out!). PLUS you will need to get out to the VIM's front gate which is roughly a mile from the reception area. You can get a bellboy to drive you out there but there's no way of predicting how many bell boys will be around and available at that time of the morning.

Buses don't stop on the highway near the VIM, so that's not an option.

I have no idea how busy the 8am ferry to Coz is and thus can't tell you whether or not it'd be a smart idea to get there extra early to secure tickets.

Are there no dive operators on the mainland you could use?

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

Thanks for the good information, Lisa. As for dive operators on the mainland, yes, I have no doubt that we could dive with one of them, but I have a preference for a specific dive master and her operation which happens to be over on Cozumel. Thanks again for your advice....

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

I would try to arrive in Playa about 730 AM to give you plenty of time.

Only buy one way ferry tickets.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

"I have a preference for a specific dive master and her operation which happens to be over on Cozumel."

Ah, I'm not a diver but I certainly understand that sort of preference. Given CoPilot's recommendation that you be in PdC by around 7:30 am, I'd suggest you plan on leaving the VIM around 6:30 am - I've known taxis to show up a few minutes late.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

Why buy only one way tickets? Are the tickets for specific sailings, or a general ticket, good for any sailing?

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

There are two ferry companies out of Cozumel to PdC with different sailing times. If you buy a round trip ticket, you are tying yourself to one of those companies which could result in your having to wait for your ferry home when the other company's ferry would be more convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

The ferry ride is a good 45 minutes. Definitely take a taxi, was 35 dollars in January, plenty hanging around at The VIM. As stated before, there are 2 ferry companies that rotate, each every other hour, and there tickets are not interchangeable.

8. Re: Traveling from VIM to PDC early in the morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto