We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vendors

Quispamsis, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Vendors

Does the VIM allow vendors on the beach and/ or do they have a night where the vendors set up their wares?

Fruita, Colorado
Level Contributor
92 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vendors

There are vendors on the beach. And they do set up In the evenings in the center of the resort. They are a little pushy.

Quispamsis, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vendors

Thanks Brian...what is your overall opinion of this resort? Have only been to Riviera Maya once and stayed at the NOW Sapphire and LOVED it but thought we might try a different spot.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vendors

The resort and beach, food , booze is great we are going back again . The vendors are rude and pushy so we just don't go look at anything. Well worth the money for this place

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vendors

WOW, I am really surprised to hear people describe the vendors as pushy. I absolutely don't want to dispute anyone's experience but mine was so completely different.

I was at the VIM a couple of weeks ago and thought the guys (and gal) on the beach were anything but. If you don't make eye contact, they usually won't even address you and if they do, a simple "no gracias" or even a shake of the head will suffice.

The vendors around the Plaza when they set up the "market" a couple of times a week are a tad more enthusiastic but I certainly didn't find them in the least bit aggressive. And if you're not interested at all, just cut through the centre of the Plaza and you can pretty much avoid them altogether.

FWIW, this was my fifth visit to the VIM and my experience with the vendors on this trip is EXACTLY the same as it has been on my last four visits.

Mommel - I've stayed at NOW Sapphire; IMHO, it is not a patch on the VIM in any way shape or form. If you like the NS, you will be absolutely blown away by the VIM.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vendors

twolaws807 is right about the beach, food and booze,,, for sure and the price is right, Have to add the service, staff, location, pools, rooms are also an incredible experience...\

But,,,, I am with Llisa,,,,

Am surprised to hear that the vendors were "pushy" at the VIM as it has never been my experience either with anyone on the beach or any of the vendors that set up at the resort on their designated evenings around the exterior of the central plaza. The ones around the plaza are more enthusiastic and engaging but have never been intimidated by them as it is nothing like 5th ave in Playa del Carmen.

I had the pleasure of my 5th visit at the Valentin Imperial Maya from June 22 to July 7th and the beach vendors were most respectful and they did not infringe at all. They would discretely walk by with their wares at a distance and in NO way did they impose upon the guests. If they did catch my attention, all it took was a smile and no thanks from me and they simply walked by with a smile. Seriously, no pressure - and the security at the resort does monitor their activity on the beach.

Keep in mind if you do need something and they have it, it is far LESS expensive than the offerings in Playa del Carmen,,,

I went into Playa one day and needed a hat, the best I could do was $40 US and the vendor had started at $90 and made like I was stealing from his madre... the beach vendor had the same Mexican made hat for less than half the price and he was stationed at a spot on the beach where he was respectfully NOT approaching the guests but they were going up to him.... I approached him and got a hat I needed for an extremely reasonable price. It was a very positive experience

Edited: 19 July 2014, 10:21
Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vendors

The 3 times we have been to the VIM have all been outstanding. There are only a few vendors on the beach, and they are not pushy at all. They walk along the beach but have never stopped at us unless we looked. The hat guy is really cool. There is also someone with a monkey and photographer. As far as the plaza, "enthusiastic" is a good description. Be prepared to haggle, and walk away to hear their final offer! better than PDC hawkers.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vendors

6 trips to the VIM and no trouble with 'pushy' vendors.

Leeds
Level Contributor
212 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vendors

We've been twice to the VIM and found, like Llisa, that a simple no, gracias was sufficient to be left alone. Maybe we've been to Greece too many times where the vendors are much more focused in their attempts to get you to buy!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vendors

,,,"only a few vendors on the beach, and they are not pushy at all. They walk along the beach but have never stopped at us unless we looked.",,,

Just like Igal says,,, also if you do get eye contact and are not interested a simple smile and "no gracias" and they will walk by at a distance.

Staff keeps a close eye on them and make sure they do not infringe upon guests...

and I do agree that hat guy was pretty cool,,, None of the aggressive bartering like in Playa (I am NOT a fan of the bartering game) It was an easy transaction in a wonderful setting.

These vendors know enough English to discuss their product.

For the OP in case you are interested.

The beach vendors sell hats, wraps, blankets, silver jewelry, "Cuban" cigars, beach bags,,, very convenient

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vendors

I agree with Llisa also. I have also been to the Now Sapphire and as I must admit, I did have a great time, the VIM is so over the top compared to most of the resorts we have visited. IMO, the vendors at the VIM are some of the most laid back ones I've seen. You want to see agressive vendors and time share agents, go to Pto. Vallarta. Not a minute's rest on the beach (Marina area) and you can't walk 20 feet in el Centro without one or two time share offers every half block.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto