We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we setting ourselves up?

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Are we setting ourselves up?

My wife and I have been to the Riviera Maya at least once every year since '09. We have stayed at several resorts ranging from Cancun to Puerto Morelos, to Playacar to Akumal. Some are better than others but we always make the best of things no matter what.

That said, every year we have looked at the VIM, but dismissed it as the prices are generally higher than we are comfortable with. Again, as we were planning our trip we looked at the VIM and found a weekend special for only about $200 more (total) than our usual price range for a resort. Normally the VIM is $500 to $800 more. Needless to say, we jumped on it!

We are looking forward to be finally experiencing the VIM and have only one concern. After reading the recent reviews and seeing virtually no negative ones, we are afraid that once we spend our vacation here, all other resorts will pale by comparison. Has this happened to anyone else?

BTW we will be there Feb 12 - 18, 2015. We normally go for 9 - 11 days, but are travelling with our son and daughter-in-law this year. She teaches and can only squeeze 6 days away from school. Anyone else here going to be there during that time?

Cave Diving in Mexico
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Scuba & Snorkeling, Water Sports
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

I hate to tell but, you may have trouble trying other resorts after the VIM. For us, it is exactly what we are looking for. For others it might not be. Also you have the chance at any resort that the other guests may make things less than perfect for you. I am currently waiting for non stop air to become available for our May trip. Packages look to be running about $200 more per person than what we paid for this past May. I started looking at other resorts but, my husband said that he doesn't want to go to another resort to save $400 and spend the entire time wishing we were at the VIM.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

I agree totally Darlene. We can only afford one trip a year (time/work restrictions). Do we want to save $400, as you say, and not have a good vacation? It is really not worth it, is it?

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

It's possible. The VIM is for the last several years my favorite but we have managed to squeeze other resorts in during that time. We are going to have our third visit this coming September. As I wife calls the VIM "My happy place".

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

Totally happened to me. We stayed at The Royal in Cancun and loved it. About the third or fourth time we went, we had a HORRIBLE experience. Wrote the manager, she could not have cared less. Our next trip, we wanted that "magic" that we had in the first couple of trips that the Royal gave us. She wrote the Romance Concierge at The Royal in Playa and they went out of their way to get us to book. We were treated over the top at The Royal PDC. Money was tight for our next trip so we stayed at Sevrets Capri. In comparison, it was a major let down. So much so that we spent more time away from the resort which equated to more money spent. In the end, it may have been cheaper to stay at The Royal to begin with.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

Hah, LOVE your avatar Theboomanchu,,,

Having just returned from my 5th visit to the VIM I am under their spell.

Many + + +s to this resort, the Professional Friendly Staff, Delicious Food, Great selection of top shelf Beverages, Beautiful Setting, Pool choices, Expansive Beach,,, and more,,,

Plus their location is somewhat remote but within a half hour to the airport and half hour the other way to Playa Del Carmen.

I predict you will get hooked on the VIM in your February visit and would suggest you make sure you register in their Loyalty program before you leave the resort. I think it is called "Family Member" and I was told during my last visit by other guests that it was very much worth enrolling.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 19:03
Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

We loved the VIM, but don't usually spend that much. Which is ok, we like variety too. But on our next big anniversary, I think we'll be back at VIM.

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

-We have been hooked on the VIM from our first time. We will miss you as we are january 8-13 for our 6th time. We really feel like we are at home there, so though we have been elsewhere in the past, we wouldnt look anywhere else now. you are right to expect that everything else will pale to your stay at the VIM. Nothing wrong about that!!!

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

Boomanchu, we've been well travelled in the area like you (I remember lazing in your condo pool at PM). We love VIM & found it better that SMB, prepare to enjoy! We always look at VIM first whenever we travel.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

The VIM is great, but no place is perfect! I am debating between CRT (where we have been 2x before) and a return trip to VIM for a trip in November (or maybe a non AI option). I had a lovely time at VIM, but even though we have a good rate booked, I am not sold on going back. My husband actually would rather go back to CRT.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we setting ourselves up?

The VIM is great, but no place is perfect! I am debating between CRT (where we have been 2x before) and a return trip to VIM for a trip in November (or maybe a non AI option). I had a lovely time at VIM, but even though we have a good rate booked, I am not sold on going back. My husband actually would rather go back to CRT.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto