We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant ?'s

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant ?'s

So, how do you decide where you are going to eat breakfast and lunch at VIM? Are the offerings at Mar y Tierra and Le Marche all that different?

Also, as far as the different tables at Ginger. We are not interested in sitting at a show cooking table. I read that those that sit at the sushi bar have a special menu not offered to the people siting at a stand alone table or show cooking table. Is this true?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant ?'s

I prefer Le Marche for breakfast and lunch, the offerings are not that much different, but does seem a little better, especially with the ice creams for lunch at Le Marche. Also, you do get the option of sitting in air con until 2:30pm (at the Tamansari adjacent) which is sometimes nice for a cool down.

As far as the Ginger goes, you are right, there is a sushi menu handed out at the sushi bar but I am thinking they would let you have access to it if you are sitting at a regular table.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant ?'s

Texas - we usually eat breakfast and lunch at Mar y Tierra as my wife likes to see the ocean while eating (and she does not like the heat). We also get room service breakfast a couple mornings and try LeMarche for lunch once (usually the day we need a little extra break from the sun).

We also always eat at Ginger (usually twice). One time we sit at the sushi bar only. You will get a sushi menu, but just make friends with the sushi chef and he will keep them coming with"special" plates the he makes up just for you - probably one of the best nights we had. And then another night, we sit at a normal table for pad thai, etc.

Looking forward to our November trip.

Feura Bush, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant ?'s

We had breakfast at le marche every morning and lunch at mar and Tierra. I just liked lunch there because you can just throw a cover up on and go right from the beach.

We went in June and it was warm inside the restaurants even with the ac on so we had no interest in being at a hibachi table in front of the fire. We sat at one of the regular tables and the menu was plenty big enough for us. It was really good!

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant ?'s

As for breakfast and lunch, in our 3x, we always prefer Le Marche. For breakfast, there is a larger variety of juices, fruits, and breads. And we love the crepe station and fresh sliced procuitto

. For lunch, Mar y Tierra is closer to beach, but we found more variety at Le marche, more assortment of meat,fish, and poultry grilled to cook.

At Ginger, you can always sit at the sushi counter, eat to your hearts delight, and then be seated in the restaurant , or any other.

If you are polanning to go to one of the buffet dinner and show nights, go first and have sushi at Ginger

Texas
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant ?'s

We divide breakfast between room service & Le Marche & lunch is usually Mar/Tierra unless we need AC then it's back to Le Marche & sometimes room service. I will admit that I often drink my lunch then eat a large early dinner & have a room service snack later.

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant ?'s

We tend to do Mar y Tierra for both breakfast and lunch. We liked being able to head down there for breakfast nice and early, then go right to the beach from there. We usually get bloody mary's to go to take to the beach with us. When we're beached out around 11:30-12, we head up to Mar y Tierra for lunch and then go straight to the pool from there. We felt like there were always plenty of options and never really felt the urge to go up to Le Marche - we only ate there when getting in from the plane and on the day we left.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant ?'s

Is there a grilling station where you can choose something to be grilled fresh or are both lunch options purely buffet only?

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant ?'s

There are grilling stations, but it is far more superior at le Marche with more choices. The steak burritos are great. They used to have grilled shrimp, but last time there was none.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant ?'s

Texas,,,,"are both lunch options purely buffet only"

Yes they are buffet only

Le Marche 12-4pm

Mar y Tierra 11-4:30pm

Edited: 05 August 2014, 15:14
Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant ?'s

Ok, I am confused. Igal says there are grilling stations but Victoria says yes to my buffet only question?

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto
Recent Conversations