We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

We are returning to the VIM for my 6th visit with another very short countdown. I usually book separate flight/resort/transfers but this time around WestJet Vacations had such good package pricing out of Vancouver direct to Cancun. The price dropped $190 per person within a day of booking and I called their 1 800 # and got the refund of difference to the credit card! Bonus.

And the WJ agent I spoke to said she just finished a tour of resorts in that region a week ago and LOVED the VIM - did not want to leave and will be going back for a personal vacation. The 2nd WJ operator told me it was #1 on her bucket list to go to. She apparently could not make the resort tour trip but was informed by fellow agents that the VIM was incredible. I realize it is a product they have to sell but these ladies were sincere.

Woah, I got off track. This question is for those who have experienced the provided transfers through Best Day Travel from Airport to VIM. What has your experience been? Thanks for any info. I realize there are not a lot of resorts between CUN and the VIM. but not sure what to expect fellow traveller wise in this case.

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,755 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

I used Best Day through Westjet Vacations in 2012 and was NOT impressed. They kept us waiting at a muster point for 20 minutes or so AFTER everyone for our van arrived and the vans were sitting waiting a few yards away. Then, they loaded all four or five vans simultaneously BUT kept us all waiting for another 20 minutes or so while the drivers stood around and shot the breeze. I can't be sure about the other vans but there is no way our particular van could possibly have been waiting for other guests to arrive as we were full!

On the way home, our van was about 15 minutes late to pick us up - just at the point where I was beginning to think we should consider calling a cab. In their defence, they did call the Bell Desk and let us know they were on their way .... but after three "they'll be here in five minutes" messages, I'd rather lost faith.

The cherry on the top? When we got dropped off at the airport, the driver made a VERY pointed comment about tipping him ..... ummmmm, I don't think so!

Long story short (oops, too late for that), even though I've booked through Westjet Vacations a couple of times since, I ditch Best Day and arrange my own transfers instead.

Oh, I forgot Best Day's other clanger - in 2013, when we were NOT using them, I found the rep at the airport and told 'em we were making our own way to and from the airport. I was VERY specific in telling the gal that we didn't need the pick up from the resort. When it was time to come home, we exited our resort to board our private transfer (thank you Dream Days) and saw the Best Day van was there waiting for us. I felt pretty bad (especially since those on the Best Day van rather gave us the stink-eye) - but when you tell the agent when you book and then track down the agent at the airport, what else can you do? But hey, I guess it explains why Best Day were late to pick us up the previous year.

Wow, you think YOU got off track! That was quite the rant, huh? Sorry about that but I feel better getting that off my chest!

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,755 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

We booked Westjet from Halifax last November, and we had no problems at all with their BestDay transfers to Ib Grand resort. We were on our way to the resort within 15 minutes of airport arrival. We walked outside, found the BestDay people very easily, were loaded right away into a waiting air condition van, and off we went. And they were on time picking us up to go back to airport. Either we were just lucky, or they've improved their services? lol

Canada
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

Sounds like you spoke to the same WestJet booking agent as I did! Only my resort is OMR. I was told about the recent travel rep visit to numerous hotels and that OMR was on her list too. LOL! I too, found the price dropped within 24 hrs of booking and was refunded $280 :))

Anyway, I have always had great experiences with WestJet and Best Day. The Best Day rep at the hotel was always helpful, and our transfers in the small van quick and on time. We had a great laugh with one Best Day guy that still brings a smile to my face 4 years later.

Have fun, I am sure you will have no need to make other arrangements.

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,755 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

Oh Llisa, I was almost going to msg you privately on this one, figured you have experienced Best Day! Thank you for sharing your experience. Wow, about that tipping. I am not alone in being generous with tipping but get peeved when I am told to tip.

What a shame that you are considerate and go out of your way to advise the transfer you will NOT use them as you found alternative transfer and they still botch it up?

I have used Cancuntransfers for my last 10+ transfers and they have worked out so well for us.

GH - hmmm - sounds like they have improved. Hoping yours wasn't a fluke. I arrive at a decent hour (5pm ish) so may "risk" Best Day.

I want to be frugal but don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

I have a few days to decide which way to go on this.

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,755 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

byrna - thank you for the endorsement. My sister is very easy going and grateful for a get away, I just want it to be smooth for her.

Great to get a refund after booking. Sometimes it pays to back online to check prices!! I think we already spent that $190 each that we were refunded?!

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

We only use Best Day to the Royal Playa and have they been 10-15 minutes late the odd time...Yes. But we are not in any hurry to sit at the airport anyhow. As long as they are not late getting us TO the resort...now that I would be unhappy about.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,594 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

VB, we have used Best Day Transfers through WJ vacations for 2 of our trips to Sandos Caracol, which is a short distance down the beach from VIM. We have had zero problems with either our trip to the hotel or our ride back to the airport. Both times we have been transported in the van which holds about 4 couples. I can recall one stop on the way to our resort. We were not so fortunate with our AC Vac transfer which used a big bus to RPDC. Live and learn I guess.

We now use Canada Transfers as I've become a bit of an Air Miles fiend so I am no longer booking packages...........until I run short on miles that is!

VIM is now getting pretty high on our must visit list thanks to info from all of you. :)

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,755 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
14,038 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Canada Transfers
Canada Transfers
4,605 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Jacksonville...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

Best Day Transfers where part of my package vacation to VIM. We had perfect service, very helpful and polite. They were a bit early on our return from VIM to the airport, but waited patiently. Another couple in our mini van returning to the airport asked to stop at a 7-11 before getting to the airport. They had a 3 hour direct flight and no food was served on their flight. The driver had no problem stopping for them to get a sandwich for their trip home.

I hope we have Best Day next year when we book our trip. They were great!!!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

Wow everyone, thank you so much for the input on Best Day Transfers. Will save the $ and use them and will definitely give a report on our experience.

Sherry - I admit I did just use a bunch of airmiles to fly my son from Edmonton to join us at the VIM for a week late in June. I have enough Airmiles for another round trip to Cancun and am now enrolled in the Avion program MUCH better,,,, and have ditched Aeroplan and Airmiles all together.. They suck the big one and AirCanada is their carrier... cannot tolerate Air Canada.

With Avion booking is incredible. They have such a superior system. Amazing.

L0veMyPugs - good to know you had a good experience. About the sandwich for the trip home for the other travellers. I bring zip locks and make sandwiches from the resort buffet for the trip home when necessary. The airport is so expensive for food and drink,,,,it is obscene!

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,755 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
10. Re: Westjet Vacations and BestDay Airport to VIM Transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto