We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Doonan, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Wondering if someone could help with an update with the quickest way to get from Ketambe to Pulau Weh?

The posts from 2012 suggest Susi Air flew from Kutacane to Banda Aceh, but I cannot find details of of these flights anywhere....

Is the best way to go back to Medan and, time permitting, take an afternoon flight to Banda Aceh, spend the night before taking the AM ferry in the morning? or is there an alternative way that someone could suggest?

There are 4 of us so we don't mind paying extra for a private car to get us back to Medan more quickly than the bus, and as we are on a limited timeframe we are seeking the quickest (and safest) way. Thanks

11 replies to this topic
jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Yes, the fastest is to take private transport from Ketambe direct to KNIA and fly to Banda Aceh. Then take taxi to the harbour at Ulee Lheue.

2. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 09:05

Doonan, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Hi,

Thanks for both comments, very helpful.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Hi,

I travelled Pulau Weh – Ketambe early January 2015 by minibus, there are no flight now. It took 8 hours from Banda Aceh to Takengon (interesting night market) and around 10 h for the very scenic section Takengon – Ketambe climbing through the jungle. The road is quite good and actually much better than Ketambe – Medan which took 10 hours by minibus (change at Kutacane and stop for lunch included) . I don’t think you will save much time going Ketambe – Medan and fly to Banda Aceh

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Thank you for your latest update on your trip Pulau Weh to Ketambe.

When I travelled from Ketambe to Pulau Weh in Nov 2006 I found the roads to be very good as well - good to know they are still in good condition over 8 years later.

Pamela

6. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 12:05

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Hey guys,

@ sib-1802; I plan to do the same route! :) A minibus Banda Aceh to Takengon and another one to Ketambe! Joy, oh, joy! :) I have another question; do you maybe know the schedule of these minibuses? Is it just one in the morning (so I have to overnight in Banda Aceh the night before) or can I take an afternoon or any later one and come with a fast boat from Pulau Weh that day? I would really love it NOT having to sleep over in Takengon since I am, as well, on a very tight schedule.

Oh, I actually have to later go to Medan as well, so that part of the route I will also experience.

I'm curious about those schedules, as well, if you are familiar with them.

Thank you very much! ;)

Ziva

Edited: 23 May 2015, 23:52
Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

The journey itself is interesting. If you are on a tight schedule you can flight out of Banda Aceh (or directly from Pulau Wek) or take a very comfortable 12 h night bus to Medan.

Sorry but I have no schedule for these minibus, I remember it waited nearly 1 hour before leaving Banda Aceh. I also got wrong information about departure from Takengon and nearly missed it. Note any schedule may change during year, depends on weather conditions and that these minibus companies don't have a reliable departure time. Arrival time will be strongly depending on traffic, car condition, driver ...

Enjoy the journey!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

Ah, ok, no problem. Thank you anyway. ;)

I like to travel on land to see more of the country and have some interactions with the locals on top of it. :) It's usually a lot of fun! Also, I will be diving the day before and I have to wait at least a day after diving before flying...then I might as well blow that day on the minibus. :)

Thank you and have a great Sunday!

Lonmay
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ketambe to Pulau Weh

We are flying from Kutecane to Banda Aceh. There is a time table on the Frienship Guest house web site www.ketambe.com/ketambe_how-to-reach.html. The flight is only 90 minutes so it is going to be a lot quicked then traveling by road.

Reply to: Ketambe to Pulau Weh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gunung Leuser National...