We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bass Lake veteran

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Bass Lake veteran

We have been going to Bass Lake for over 25 years. Please feel free to pick my brain. We used to camp, but as we get a little older, we prefer to rent one of the great houses on the north shore. Our dream is to retire at Bass Lake!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bass Lake veteran

I wish I knew about these forums last year! We planned a family reunion there, renting 2 houses. Turns out we were there for July 4th but knew nothing about the fireworks, etc.! We could have reserved a boat! But, we had a good time anyway- it's a great place for a vacation.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bass Lake veteran

Hello, thanks for the offer to pick your brain...

My 16 year old son would like to vacation for 1 week on a lake where he can waterski (we have to rent the boat). We want to rent a house lakefront with a boat dock. We also have a 7 year old daughter who is a beginning swimmer who can only swim off the boat with a lifevest. So, good beach area for walk in swimming would be great for her.

Have heard that Clear Lake tends to attract a rough, heavy-drinking, loud-mouth crowd which is not what I want. We want to be less than 5 hours from SF.

Do you think Bass Lake is a possibility for us? If so, do you have a recommended source or 2 for vacation rental properties?

Thanks ..... Lynn

If you don't think Bass Lake

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bass Lake veteran

Mom- I'm sure that Married can give you even more information, but I'll tell you what we did last summer, which worked out well for everyone. We rented our houses through basslakerealty.com. It's a great site because you can see all the properties, and there's a map of the whole lake so that you can get a sense of the area.

We stayed in the Marina View Area, whihc is further down the road from the village. This was fine with us because it was quieter down there. We looked at houses in the "lake View" description, and got 2 great properties near each other. The nicest was #221, because it was right across the road from the lake and a boat marina, where we had access to a boat slip. There's also a little beach and picnic area, where the littlest ones in our family (i'm talking 1-yr-olds) were able to play in the sand and poke their toes in the water. I know that there are even nicer beach areas around the lake, but this worked well for us.

My husband has lived in the Bay Area his entire life, but this was our first trip to Bass Lake, and it was a great place to stay. I also loved being that close to Yosemite!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bass Lake veteran

Thanks for the response macjack. I've found some listings for great houses both at Bass Lake and Lake Almanor...perhaps your husband has some knowledge of Almanor to pass on by way of comparing these 2??!!

Anyway, I am getting excited and I'm glad to find this forum too. As we get closer to the trip, I'm going to check back in to see what's happening around the lake in June.

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bass Lake veteran

We also love Bass Lake and have stayed at the Pines Resort many times. We get the spa-suite rooms that are very nice with gorgeous views of the lake.

We like to dine at Ducey's on the Lake. There are also some very nice restaurants in Oakhurst. The Elderberry House is a five-star restaurant, Crystal Springs is good and El Cid there is great for Mexican food.

I know in the summer they have Jazz on the Lake every Fri. night that we like. Cheers!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bass Lake veteran

hi Momto! I've been away from the board for a while.

I think you should try Bass Lake; it's sooo much nicer than Clear Lake. Majestic cedars and pines all the way down to the waters edge, with the mountains all around. It's just beautiful. There are many beaches with gentle access for the kids, and if you have a boat, there are some you can only get to by water. Do make sure the kids have water shoes though, there are a lot of small rocks and stones, and sometimes debris from inconsiderate people.

The kids will love it. We took all 4 of my grandkids last summer and they really loved it. We used to camp, but the past several years we find we prefer to rent one of the nicer houses with a private dock. Bass Lake is a shallow lake, so it gets very comfortable in the summer, temperature wise.

Yes, as posted above, basslakerealty.com has a great website. We have been renting from them for 8 years. A good selection of houses. There is also another realty in the village that has house rentals, but I just cant think of their name right now. It will come to me...

The marina area is nice, but we prefer to be closer to the village or Willow Cove. The area around Mallard street is also very very nice. You can find it on the map at the above website.

The Forks has a pretty good breakfast, and Millers landing is THE place to get ice cream when it's really hot. They will let you park your boat at either of these places while you give them some business.

Duceys is the place for a night out when you want a night off from cooking. A little pricey, but very nice.

Let me know if there is anything else I forgot!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bass Lake veteran

MacJack; we were there for July 4th last year also! What a great week that was! We rented a pontoon boat for the week and went out in the thick of all the boats when they did the fireworks; it was awesome!

We were a little concerned that there wouldn't be any fireworks, since there was a resident bald eagle there for many years. If he is in residence, they call off the fireworks to protect him. I dont know if he left, or if he was just away on his own vacation last year, so we could have our fireworks. Someone used to have an "eagle cam" pointed at his (her?) nest so we could see it on the internet.

Are you hooked on Bass Lake yet? We have traveled extensively, and this is still my favorite place in the world!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bass Lake veteran

Momto; I forgot to address your 16 year old. Yes he will love the waterskiing, but he needs to get up early for the glass. No boats are allowed to go over 5 mph before 8 AM (or start up the competition engines), but as soon as the clock ticks 8, the first water skiiers are out there tearing it up. I like to get a cup of coffee and sit at the end of the dock and watch them.

There is a lot of waterskiing the rest of the day of course, but not like it is in the morning; so still.

My grandkids are 17, 16, 14 and 12; all boys, and they never got bored for a minute!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bass Lake veteran

OK, I'm convinced Marriedtwoit! We'll see what we can find for rental homes. it really helps to have informed advice when planning a vacation in an area you don't know. I'm glad i found this forum.

Are you sure you have teenage granchildren? Did you say my 16 year old will have to get up early!????!!

well, who knows....that might be just the incentive he needs!

Thanks.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bass Lake veteran

Well he doesn't have to get up early if he doesn't want to, but 8 AM is the absolute best time for waterskiing.

Yes, I can hardly believe it myself; 4 grandsons, and me still a child at heart! We save our best partying for when the kids aren't around!

Get answers to your questions about Bass Lake
More Bass Lake Topics