We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

Which Berkeley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

I will be in SF in a month and quite fancy a trip to the University to take some photographs, perhaps climb the tower etc how far is the BART station to the University?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

I can only provide some general info. and hopefully, someone who knows specifics will chime in. You'll want to get to the North Berkeley BART station (www.bart.gov/stations/nbrk/map.aspx) at 1750 Sacramento St. I believe it's pretty close to UCB. The campus is spread out and there can be a steep walk up hills. You can go to www.berkeley.edu/visit and look at the campus map to see where Sather Tower is and also get more info. on visiting UCB and making the BART connection. If you have time, be sure to visit the UCB Botanical Garden.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

From the Downtown station it is about 2 blocks to the start of the Campus. I have often walked through the lovely campus to The Stadium for Cal games. You do not want the North Station.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

The Downtown Berkeley (sometimes referred to as "Berkeley" for short) BART Station is one city block west of the west edge of campus. (In other words, walk a block east on Center Street once you exit the station.) There are large maps posted at street level outside the main station entrance, and a campus map is posted once you reach campus.

The campus is a great place to walk around and explore. Try to stop by the Campanile (http://berkeley.edu/visitors/campanile.html) for a visit if it's open. Sather Gate is currently undergoing restoration work, so you will not find it at its regular location. (Sorry!)

For your return trip to San Francisco, I highly recommend taking the bus instead of BART. AC Transit Route F circles around campus (best to pick it up on Bancroft Way if you can) and passes through Berkeley and part of Oakland before crossing the Bay Bridge to San Francisco. Traveling this direction, the San Francisco skyline is very striking! More info: http://www.actransit.org

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

OK, that's to the WEST edge. But there is no there there. The real start of the campus is Telegraph and Bancroft, 0.7 miles from BART ccording to Google Map.

Jump on the bus! (AC TRANSIT'S website is broken tonight for some reason, but I'm sure that it's less than 5 min to Bancroft and Telly.)

(Right there is one of the great civil rights battlefields of the century. Scene of the Free Speech Movement, and the place where that beloved Ronnie Reagan (Governor Reagan at the time) gassed hundreds of us (children included) with tear gas from helicopters. Helicopters! This was 1969, during the battle for People's Park.

See -- there still are some crazed radicals left in Berkeley, in spit of the extreme gentrification.

Mickey

5. Re: How close is Berkeley Bart station to the University campus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 07:18