We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

Pittsburg...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

I need suggestions for a good restaurant that serves both vegan and non-vegan dishes for dinner this Friday night in the Berkeley area. Thanks for your help.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,755 posts
5,813 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

Chez Panisse

http://www.chezpanisse.com/reservations/

Go to the cafe section of it. Reservations suggested. This is a very well known restaurant in the area (Alice Waters.). The main restaurant is also very good - but its a set menu (i.e. not as flexible.).

If you like Italian, Giovanni's is a Berkeley main stay

http://berkeleycafegiovanni.com/

(Note: its ok - not stellar - food, but nice surroundings.).

Pittsburg...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

Do you mean Cesar? If so, any difference between the one on Shattuck and the one in Piedmont?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

I am vegetarian, so I don't usually check to see if a food item is also vegan. However, I do know that it is incredibly easy to find vegan food in this town. Menus at many restaurants actually call out vegetarian and vegan dishes (and make the distinction!).

I take it you are looking for a sit-down restaurant? While the Giovanni's recommendation is nice--although I don't know anybody who eats there!--it does not appear to cater to vegans. Doesn't do a spectacular job with your run-of-the-mill vegetarians either. :)

However, no need to fear! You should give Fellini (http://www.fellinirestaurant.net) a try. Its menu caters to vegans and non-vegans alike, and it is more affordable than a place like Chez Panisse ("café" is veggie friendly, "restaurant" is not). Plus reservations aren't necessary. The restaurant is pleasant, but the University Avenue location is not quite as picturesque as Chez Panisse's Gourmet Ghetto location. But don't let that stop you. :) (Arrival tip: Fellini parking is in the rear, between the two red lamps.)

Other vegan/non-vegan restaurants tend to be order-at-the-counter affairs. Restaurants like Café Gratitude tend to cater to vegans at the expense of non-vegans.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

César is different from the restaurants mini mentioned. It does not specialize in accommodating vegetarian and vegan diners, although it does, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you are looking for drinks or tapas (with an actual meal elsewhere).

The local paper (Contra Costa Times/West County Times/Oakland Tribune conglomerate) recently reviewed the newer Piedmont location. It is much, much larger than the original Berkeley location. Both are very popular, and since reservations cannot be made, there can be a wait to get in. In this situation, the far larger Piedmont location would become more attractive to somebody who has to drive regardless of location. The Piedmont location also has a larger kitchen, so it offers a wider menu variety than the Berkeley location.

5. Re: Best Restaurant For Vegan and Non-vegan eaters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 05:19