We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and Outet Malls - Bay Area

Which Berkeley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping and Outet Malls - Bay Area

All

Can you help with some webpages / direction for outlet and shopping malls in the bay area

looking mto bolt on some nights out and shopping to the end of a snowboaridng holiday at lake tahoe before flying out of San Francisco

Stuey

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and Outet Malls - Bay Area

The best shopping in the Bay Area is in San Francisco itself. The Union Square area is packed full of department and designer stores, and good discount stores are in the area, too. Try Macy's, Loehmanns, Ross, Marshalls, and Nordstrom Rack for starters.

Some tourists are tempted to stray out into the suburbs for outlet mall shopping, but as we constantly warn visitors, the outlet malls do not offer a very good value on very good merchandise. In fact, much of the merchandise found in outlet malls is manufactured exclusively for those locations. The items are NOT designer merchandise comparable to items found at the real shops in and around Union Square, nor are they discounted.

However, if you are still curious about outlet malls, you can stop at the Vacaville Premium Outlets on your way back from Lake Tahoe. This assumes you are driving, of course. Here is a link: www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and Outet Malls - Bay Area

I have to say that davdaven's view of outlet malls isn't shared by everyone here. Some people feel they get good deals at the outlet malls and love the whole outlet mall experience.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and Outet Malls - Bay Area

I'm actually stating fact, not opinion... There was a question about the Gilroy outlet mall a few weeks back where I actually dug up an informative article on the outlet mall shopping experience and how quality is not the same and discounting is in name only. I don't have the link on me at the moment, sorry.

However, with that being said, some people do enjoy the experience. (I personally do not, as simba_8 pointed out.) I have bought at outlet malls before, but I know what I'm getting. Several of my kitchen items are from the Gilroy Premium Outlets and Great Mall, for example. I bought them because I liked the items, not because I was getting a deal.

4. Re: Shopping and Outet Malls - Bay Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2010, 06:17