We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seafood

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
seafood

Looking for a good seafood restaurant.

Planning for a birthday celebration. Nothing too fancy, or expense. Semi-casual attire.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Emeryville
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seafood

Try Sea Salt, a restaurant recently opened in the newly-fashionable San Pablo/Dwight district in West Berkeley. The Lalime's are behind this place (same Lalime's who run the Lalime's, T Rex, Jimmie Beans, and Fonda eateries in Berkeley).

I loved their Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Trout sandwich. Some other starters:

oysters on the half shell��� watch hill / wellfleet / beausoleil 3 ea. olympia / sweetwater / kumamoto 2 ea.

littleneck clams on the half shell with cocktail sauce 2 ea.

chilled hawaiian blue prawns with lemon aioli 2.5 ea.

tartare of yellowfin tuna with orange, basil and black olive 12

white clam chowder garnished with bacon and parsley 8.5

fuyu persimmon salad with frisee, roccola, toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds 9

roasted beet salad with haricots verts, laura chenel goat cheese, pistachios and orange vinaigrette 9

caesar salad with marinated white spanish anchovies 9

crab salad with avocado, blood orange and mint 12

county line mixed organic chicories with apple, point reyes blue cheese and candied pecans 9

www.seasaltrestaurant.com

Emeryville
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seafood

Try Sea Salt, a restaurant recently opened in the newly-fashionable San Pablo/Dwight district in West Berkeley. The Lalime's are behind this place (same Lalime's who run the Lalime's, T Rex, Jimmie Beans, and Fonda eateries in Berkeley).

I loved their Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Trout sandwich. Some other starters:

oysters on the half shell��� watch hill / wellfleet / beausoleil 3 ea. olympia / sweetwater / kumamoto 2 ea.

littleneck clams on the half shell with cocktail sauce 2 ea.

chilled hawaiian blue prawns with lemon aioli 2.5 ea.

tartare of yellowfin tuna with orange, basil and black olive 12

white clam chowder garnished with bacon and parsley 8.5

fuyu persimmon salad with frisee, roccola, toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds 9

roasted beet salad with haricots verts, laura chenel goat cheese, pistachios and orange vinaigrette 9

caesar salad with marinated white spanish anchovies 9

crab salad with avocado, blood orange and mint 12

county line mixed organic chicories with apple, point reyes blue cheese and candied pecans 9

www.seasaltrestaurant.com

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,390 posts
5,629 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seafood

Spengers is the traditional Berkely Seafood restaurant....but be prepared for a wait...http://www.themenupage.com/spengers.html

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: seafood

An additional word on Spenger's. It is a fairly famous restaurant. It made it's reputation on fresh sea food after World War II. It was in the family until about 5 or 6 years ago. The original had a big emphasis on fried seafood. The new management has broadened the menu. Food is good prices are reasonable for the Bay Area.

Consider Skate's By the Bay, which is on the Berkeley waterfront. This restaurant is literally on the water. It's built out over the Bay. It has a drop-dead view of San Francisco accross the Bay and both bridges. The menu tends to be more modern and experimental although they do have fish and chips. We tend to take out of town visitors there. The food is good, prices are reasonable, and the view is stunning.

Another restaurant down there is His Lordships. I haven't eaten there in a long time. It has more traditional food but the restaurant is not well laid out to take advantage of the view.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: seafood

A little late on this one, but don't miss Pearl on College in Oakland. Amazing, fresh seafood, with a more modern menu. Yum!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: seafood

LiseinMotion, I'm glad you made your entry, even if you thought it was a late. Pearl sounds interesting. I can always look it up, but where on college is it?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: seafood

It is at 5634 College Ave. It was even excellent the week it opened!

http://www.pearloncollege.com/

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seafood

Witling--thanks so much for your post re: Skate's! I'll be in Berkeley soon and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have lunch there, too. I was thinking of Skate's and your post confirmed that's the place for me!