We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

rums223
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

Ok, so technically this isn't a trip, but the drive from NY to CA is...so my husband, son and I want to move late spring/early summer. Any good areas to stay within? Any advice on finding a rental home or apartment? We don't have jobs lined up at the moment either (he's trying to get into Pixar) so we will be on a budget.

Any help is appreciated!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,472 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

You are coming here on a VACATION to look around and decide whether you want to move here. You are not "planning to move here." because TA will close your thread if you are. Discussions of relocation, buying property, job-hunting, etc. are off limits.

You are interested in a VRBO that could turn into a longer rental because you might enjoy the area and feel like extending your VACATION. :)

With that taken care of, you can ask questions about suggestions for your extended VACATION.

rums223
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

Ok then...which area should we take our extended vacation? I'm thinking Berkeley/Emeryville, but it's looking a little expensive

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,408 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

Actually, you are allowed to ask about relocation as long as your questions follow the posting guidelines.

"All of the following topics will be removed or closed:

Listings that include real estate purchases, apartment rentals or similar solicitations. Exception to this rule: A discussion providing short-term relocation advice is acceptable provided it remains relevant to travelers moving or looking to move to that destination. Orientation to neighborhoods, travel logistics, visa requirements, or even post-arrival "thanks, everyone" updates are welcome, whereas asking for help finding roommates, buying/selling furniture or ongoing personal updates are not considered travel-related." tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

I think all of the Bay Area is expensive to live. Good luck on your move/vacation/relocation/search!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

You are correct in your impression that Berkeley is expensive. For long-term rentals, it is amongst the most expensive places in the country. It is my understanding that within the Bay Area only rentals in San Francisco proper are more expensive than Berkeley (home of UC Berkeley) and Palo Alto (home of Stanford).

You will find the prices a lot more palatable outside of Berkeley. Emeryville and Oakland both offer more bang for the buck. You've probably heard stories about Oakland in the news. And let me tell you that Oakland is a large city with many neighborhoods, and some are much better than others.

You may find these two traveler articles informative:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32066-s204/Berkeley:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32810-s204/Oakland:C…

Oakland: I suggest you focus on the Rockridge (all parts), Piedmont Avenue (all parts), and Temescal (north of 40th Street, east of Telegraph Avenue) neighborhoods. Other neighborhoods are marginal (e.g., West Oakland, North Oakland) or too far away (e.g., Grand Lake, Montclair).

Emeryville: Consider any part of town in a new development, or near a new development, as long as you stay north of 40th Street.

Berkeley: Most of town is very nice, but the cheaper neighborhoods tend to be cheap for a reason. Try to avoid the southwest part of town (roughly west of Sacramento Street and south of Dwight Way), West Berkeley (west of Curtis Street), and the Ashby/Alcatraz Avenue corridor (west of Shattuck Avenue). These areas can be nice block-by-block, but don't even bother with anything west of San Pablo Avenue and south of University Avenue.

If you are willing to travel a little further, consider the family-friendly towns of Albany (to the north, adjacent to Berkeley, all parts nice) and Alameda (to the south, near Oakland, most parts nice). Albany in particular is popular for its good school district.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Berkeley/Emeryville area

Davdaven's given you the general lay of the land in Berkeley. I would say, however, based on personal knowledge, that the neighborhoods south of Dwight between Shattuck and San Pablo are changing, and are not as problematic as they used to be.