We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

New York City
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

Greetings!

I need a place stay for one or two nights in berkeley or oakland...because I don't want to commute from Fairfield where I am staying with a friend for a week.

I'm visiting from NYC>

Am shocked that there aren't any good cheap places around...noticed very bad reviews for Piedmont Hostel..

Does anyone have any suggestion...

Am having a very hard time.

Thanks.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

Budget? Will you have a car?

Not for everyone, but I know people who use one of those couch surfing websites.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 20:37
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

Airbnb may be your answer.

New York City
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

no way....I don't have a car...and have no use of a car...

I live in New York city...but I would be willing to travel...on public transport

I have tried and tried on couchsurfing...am shocked...I can't find a place....

New York City
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

thanks i am looking on air b n b seems pretty pricey,,,...and some have strict cancellation policies..which make me nervous....

New York City
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

I would definitely be willing to do couchsurfing..found great people but they all said they were going out of town or something...

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

Beggars can't be choosers? ;)

Joking aside, a college town should have something. Since you are Cal grad, I would assume you will know areas to avoid. Call a frat house or one of those private dorm houses? Where is your gig? Maybe someone affiliated will take pity on you? Good luck.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 20:57
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

Sorry you are having trouble finding accommodations. Couchsurfing is hit or miss. The website isn't as popular now because of the new terms and conditions of usage that monetize what used to be a goodwill movement.

AirBNB can be quite variable in its offerings. I took a quick look and found over 70 properties in the Berkeley/Oakland area that are under $100 per night for an entirely private space. There are another 250+ properties in that price range that offer private rooms in shared spaces. Surely you can find something to fit your needs.

If not, consider the YMCA. I haven't been inside the hotel portion, but it looks decent enough. I am a member of the gym and it seems well maintained. www.ymca-cba.org/downtown-berkeley/hotel

Since you have a UCB affiliation, you also have the privilege of staying at two properties that are otherwise restricted to travelers. Perhaps one of them will suit your needs.

http://www.berkeleylabguesthouse.berkeley.edu

www.berkeleyfacultyclub.com/Default.aspx…

Good luck!

New York City
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

thanks for your attention to all this dave....i actually had already reserved at the Y( I am a member in NYC) and am staying one night with a friend from san francisco....the UBerkeley accomodations for alumni are outrageously expensive...ridiculous! i checked them out over $100 a night...noone on coachsurfing was available ..quite a shock...thanks again...will be in touch for future tips/trips....cute trip tips....songwriter that i am! latuh...

9. Re: UCBerkeley grad/prof musician needs housing one or two night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:21