We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

I'm going to be out in San Francisco for a week at the end of March. I'll be there for work and won't have a car until Friday morning. I'm wondering if it's at all do-able to have dinner on Saturday night at 5pm at Chez Panisse (in the cafe) and still be able to drop off the rental and make an 8:50pm flight.

Am I being too optimistic allowing an hour for dinner and 45 minutes to get to the airport? That would put me at the airport about two hours before the flight.

Thoughts?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

Saturday night? I wouldn't risk it. Traffic coming into the city on the bridge is always busy on the weekend. If you were going to fly out of Oakland... maybe.

But I wonder what other folks think about swinging south to 880 and San Mateo bridge. But still cutting close I would gather.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,432 posts
6,009 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

Since you are in San Francisco for the week, try to do it but on another night than Friday night.

You can easily take Bart to San Francisco and its walking distance (level in fact) to Chez Panisse.

Then take Bart back to San Francisco.

http://www.bart.gov/

Saturday night can vary. The San Mateo bridge route is usually better than trying to get through San Francisco and then drive to SFO, however if its March 22, then the Warriors are playing in Oakland at 7:30 about the same time you have to drive to the airport.http://www.nba.com/warriors/schedule

If another day, check Oracle schedule if anything else will impact you

Athletics baseball is not playing yet.

if you tried to drive through San Francisco there is usually a ton of traffic going through the toll booths on Saturday night in San Francisco....and if you do not have a fast pass it is usually a slow crawl on a Saturday night,.

Hate to be a pessimist but since you have a car, have luggage, need to drive to the airport, and dinner here should be a leisurely affair (not a quick eat, run type) see if you have another night and just take Bart and go to the restaurant then (if you have the possibility of doing this.)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

Oh I like the BART to Berkeley idea on another night. You would want to Downtown Berkeley station and just walk up Shattuck.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,942 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

How would you enjoy your experience at one of the top restaurants in SF when you are always worrying about getting to the airport on time?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

I Think Chez Panisse has closed.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

I don't think they have closed. I just came from the website and it is working fine. I have a dim memory that some months ago the dining room was closed for renovation but the cafe stayed open. Apparently both are serving now.

They do not take reservations other than by telephone....no website or email. The number for reservations for the cafe is 510-548-5049, taken up to a month ahead. Any Chance you could do lunch? Mon-Thu 1:30-2:45, until 3:00 on Fri, Sat.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

If my decrepit memory serves they had a fire but have reopened.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

You are right. Thanks for jogging my memory.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

8:50 pm flight (let's round to 9 pm); you need to arrive by 7:30 unless you have no luggage and have pre-checked in, when you could push it to 7:45 pm. You'd have to return the car by 7 pm to allow time to get to your terminal. To get there from Berkeley I'd probably leave Berkeley by 6 pm. So, no, not really.

And even if you could work the timing, I wouldn't rush through dinner at Chez Panisse, even in the Cafe. Why go to a food mecca for a gulp and go meal?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,432 posts
6,009 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chez Panisse before flight out of SFO, can it be done?

Here's an article on the fire - they reopened last June...

bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/article/af…