We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days with 4 yr old

B L
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days with 4 yr old

My family and I will be visiting the Beverly Hills area for 2 days at the end of May before spending time at Disneyland and in San Diego. What would you suggest we do during these two days? Would you do one of these days at the beach? Where are some great family-friendly restaurants in the area that are NON-CHAIN? We have Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, American Girl Cafe, etc... near us, so we would rather go places unique to the area.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

Where, exactly, are you staying? Will you have a car? BH area could mean a lot of different things...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

I would maybe plan to spend the afternoon at the beach. At the end of May we can often be well into a weather pattern called "May Gray" (and later "June Gloom") - this is basically low, grey clouds / overcast conditions that gather by the shore and can extend inland a bit. The further inland, the less likely they are to even happen and the sooner in the day they'll go away. All the way by the shore, they can linger until late morning or even in to the afternoon. So at that time of year, the best chance for sunshine at the beach is in the afternoon.

For family friendly restaurants, one place that comes to mind is Miceli's in Hollywood, which features singing waiters/waitresses. In Beverly Hills itself, maybe somewhere like the Beverly Hills Diner, which is located where a Johnny Rocket's used to be (not sure if you would be familiar with that chain ) and basically has the same style - 50's type diner motif. Most restaurants in Beverly Hills itself tend to be more on the expensive / formal side of things which doesn't mean they aren't kid friendly, but are probably less appropriate for children than they might otherwise be.

In any case, here's a good article on the subject by Jonathan Gold who's probably the most respected food critic in LA:

laweekly.com/2011-03-31/…

B L
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

We will have a car. We are actually staying in Anaheim as much of our time in the area before heading to San Diego will be spent at DL. We will arrive early at LAX and plan on spending the first entire day around Beverly Hills area before heading to hotel late that evening. We would like to spend a good portion of another day at the beach. Which one do you rec? Traveling within an hour each way would be no issue. I loved several of the restaurants in the area last time I was there....Cut, Koi, Spago, etc...but just don't want to risk receiving dirty looks if my child chooses not to be on her best behavior. Does anyone have any thoughts on Saddle Ranch for Dinner or Milk or lunch? We want places with good food, would welcome kids, and are not just complete tourists traps( which I have heard some say SR tends to be....) I have never been to either of these.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

Saddle Ranch is a rowdy bar for tourists.

Consider restaurants in Santa Monica since you want to go to a beach near LAX the first day. Take your child to the pier and then have a meal at any of the great restaurants nearby. Children are always welcome. There's everything from blue plate taco and also the oysterette, to tar and roses to Stella Rossa for amazing pizza.

B L
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

Also, is Universal Studios worth visiting?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

No don't visit Universal Studios with a 4 year old, not interesting for them at all.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,210 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

Well, Cut, Spago, Koi, etc are 'fine dining' establishments. Children are welcome anywhere but why would you want to subject your child to a long, drawn out formal meal where she can't 'be a kid'? The other diners are expecting peace and quiet. It's expected that they would give you dirty looks. So choose your dining options with your child's happiness (and other diners') in mind.

B L
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

HopSkipJump.....I wasn't suggesting that I was going to subject my child to those fine dining establishments. I simply meant that those were the only places where I have dined before in that area and knew were wonderful. I realize they are not places that I could take my child and everyone be able to enjoy their meals. However, on other searches, I have seen people suggest a few of those places for good meal to people with kids. I need help finding kid friendly places now that we are traveling with a young, not always well behaved child. I apologize for not being clear while making that statement:) No worries, just need help finding new kind of dining experiences....kid friendly, but would still like good food and no chains .Thanks:)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

Is there any particular reason you have chosen BH to stay at?

For the most part it's not a very fun place for a little one. Not much except some high end shopping, homes, restaurants, and no real attractions.

Have you considered nearby Santa Monica? There will be a much greater selection of kid friendly restaurants, fun activities at the pier and beach, and you're still close to BH if you need to be there for a particular reason.

If you to SR go for breakfast. No rowdy crowds and the little one will enjoy the decorations. The French toast is pretty good.

Dr. Z

B L
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Days with 4 yr old

No, we could definitely do Santa Monica. The last time I was there, I spent almost the entire time in the Beverly Hills area. I loved it! However, that was before I had my daughter, so I didn't know if there were things in the area that we could do with her. If there really isn't anything, then we could definitely do a different area. I have also already done all of the Hollywood touristy stuff and dont really care to do any of that again. We also don't have to do SR at all. ..especially if there are better options out there. I saw it on a search and thought that my daughter would love the desserts that they offer. However, if it is more of a rowdy bar, then it may not be for us. If you guys have any other places within an hour or so radius of Anaheim that you feel as though my family would enjoy, please suggest away! We have two full "free " days before we hit Disneyland and then head to San Diego and just want to make the most of our experience out there.