We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Hi

We are currently looking at organising our summer vacation for 2014. We are undecided whether to stay in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica. Our options are either The Peninsula in Beverly Hills or Shutters on the beach in Santa Monica. I have been told Santa Monica isn't the most desirable place to be when night falls? We will have our 9 year old son with us & will have a car. Is the peninsula in walking distance to nice restaurants etc?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Both are great hotels, you won't go wrong with either. Both have great restaurants in walking distance. Shutters has One Pico which is a great restaurant. Across the street in the Casa Del Mar hotel is Catch, one of my favorite restaurants in LA. But there's also many other options within a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk. Around the Peninsula (which has its own great restaurant) you'll have a lot of restaurants on and around Rodeo Drive between Santa Monica and Wilshire Blvd.

I'm not sure about the comment of Santa Monica being undesirable at night. Its a great area at all hours of the day - of course a lot of its attraction is the beach and the scenery which you can't really see at night, but Santa Monica is full of great shops, restaurants and bars and so to me it being undesirable at night doesn't make sense. Plus there's a huge carnival on the pier with ferris wheel and roller coaster, in addition to everything on and around the 3rd St. Promenade.

In fact, its Beverly Hills that can be a bit undesirable at night, since all the shops close there and you only have a smattering of restaurants open with very light pedestrian traffic, if any. Generally, BH is rather quiet at night.

If it were me, I'd probably go with Santa Monica since you have a car. Santa Monica has the beach, etc. Of course its at the far west end of the city. Shutters is a fantastic hotel. I would venture to say the Peninsula is even nicer, and Beverly Hills tends to be a bit more central for most tourist itineraries, but it doesn't have the beach right there, which to me is a big deal. But, when you say "summer" I'd probably not do Santa Monica if that means June - since we can often get lingering, low grey overcast clouds by the beach in May and June (the so-called "May Gray" and "June Gloom" effect) that gather in the morning and may not go away all day, or may go away any time between mid-morning and late afternoon. Turns our sunny beaches gloomy.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Shutters on the Beach is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in (and I live here), and it's great with kids. It's on the beach, near the Pier, there's lots of fantastic restaurants to walk to - cafes, coffee shops, shopping, etc. SM is great at night, it's alive all day and night.

Peninsula is more formal, and attracts lots of business people. The area is pretty empty at night, although you can walk to lots of great, top class, restaurants.

Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Hi

Thanks for the information. The other option is the Four Seasons. We thought Beverly Hills over Santa Monica as we are doing the Montage at laguna beach as well so would of done the beach vibe. But from what you say Santa Monica's vibe sounds great day or night

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Four Seasons, although it is listed as Beverly Hills, is really at the outskirts, with little to walk to nearby. All are wonderful choices.

Montage in Laguna Beach is isolated, so if you want both city and beach vibe at one time, with a lively restaurant scene, Santa Monica fits the bill. If you want a bit of city experience while in LA, then choose the Peninsula, as at least you will have restaurants within walking distance - I highly recommend Hakkasan, Spago, Cut and Nate n Als.

In Santa Monica, the list is endless for restaurants.

Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

Hi

Thanks my wife is pushing for shutters as thinks Santa Monica will fit our needs better after the advice you have given

Much appreciated

6. Re: Beverley Hills or Santa Monica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Beverly Hills