We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2009, 18:05
Big Bear Lake
Ski & Snowboard Areas, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
Snow Summit
Ski & Snowboard Areas
nevada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

I agree with treehousekid...

The heating was terrible (below 50), the cabin hadn't seen a vacuum in months and the plumbery was out of order. There was no way to flush the toilets and there was 3 inches of standing water in the shower with mold on top of it!

I very heavily recommend staying away from that place!

Monrovia, CA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

I really wish I would have done more research and read these reviews. I stayed in the "Honeymoon Cottage" on 11/21/08. When I called and spoke to the sales rep (he sounded like a High School kid) he said it was there "best place" for a romantic getaway. I paid about $400/night.

Upon arriving, I was absolutely appauled. It was located in a trashy little neighborhood. The "views" included run down shanties, an oven covered with a tarp, people's homes trashed with junk beside them. I spent the first 30 minutes apologizing profusely to my girlfriend. Fortunately, we arrived at dusk so we only had to deal with the view for an hour or so. I'm just a simple dude from Oklahoma, but I can tell you that this place was little more than a wood shed. I used to hunt as a kid and I have seen hunting cabins that were more refined. The toilet didn't flush, there were no window coverings in the sleeping quarters, no heat throughout the house, the tv made this humming buzz sound that made it un-useable. We didn't even shower at the place.

They had a sleeper sofa in the living room and we decided to sleep on it so we could stay by the fireplace and gas heater in the living room. I have NEVER seen a sleeper sofa like this one!!! There is no way anyone could sleep on this. Fortunately, it was not freezing cold so we slept upstairs with no heat (and no window coverings).

If nothing else, this was a true test of my girlfriend's attitude!!!! The place was so absurd that we ended up just laughing and joking about it...definitely will have some stories to tell from this experience!!

I can't believe these guys are in business!!!!!!

Orange Co. , CA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

We loved our cabin and thank goodness it was clean and warm but we agree about all Cool Cabin's lies and poor customer service! The first lie we were told was that we could have early check-in at 12:30 pm if the cabin was clean. When we arrived in Big Bear we peaked through the cabin windows and it looked great so we proceeded to the Cool Cabin office and were told that under no circumstances could we check in until 4:00 pm. (along with about 200 other families!) When we told them about the promise of early check-in we were asked "did you get the person's name?"

The next lie was that they would send over a maintenance man the next morning when we informed them that the sink was backed up,the garbage disposal, dvd, dishwasher and cd player did not work. We never saw anyone and never even received a phone call back from them.

One last comment, the beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable and the couches were ready for the dumpster. Otherwise we had a great time!

Los Alamitos...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

Yes! Absolutely STAY AWAY! we were just there and just after we booked our cabin, we just read the reviews and the reviews warned us that the bedsheets and towels were not clean. So, we brought our own sheets and towels. And when we got there to check-in, they routed us to another office after the fact that parking there was horrible! finally we got to check-in, got our codes and directions....they gave us the WRONG Directions to our cabin!!! When we got to our cabin, the sheets had shoe marks and i didn't even bother using their towels as i saw piles of soiled towels and sheets just sitting outside in the back of the office...thinking they must be moldy since these soiled items are out in the open where there is a lot of moisture! Gross!

OUr cabin was roomy and suppose to sleep 12 people, but get this, only 2 toilet paper rolls in the bathroom!!! I called the office and asked for a later check-out to be compensated from all this mess but they were going to charge us $45, no way! Very bad customer service!!! Please be very wary and go somewhere else, Cool Cabins is just not the way to go if you want to have a pleasant stay in Big Bear!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

If there are any "real" people out there reading these hit pieces, please, please be aware that all these postings have been made by people who join TA, type up one or two attack posts and are never seen again.

I've never been or used Cool Cabins but somehow, I smell a rat.

Big Bear Lake
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

I think you will usually find that most of the people posting these negative posts in the Forum section are merely mistaken about where they should post as opposed to being "hit pieces". If you look under the traveler review section you will find that this same person actually posted a review there which is where they should have done so in the first place.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

Obviously BBLodger has more knowledge of the Big Bear area than I do. However, I am always suspicious of people who join TA merely to make remarks on one place and then are never seen or heard from again (in fact they never login again --this can be seen in their profiles). These may be attack pieces or glowing reviews. Either way, they don't ring true.

Cool Cabins could be slum or a castle. There's really no way of knowing based on what's been posted.

Big Bear Lake
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

I do agree with you that there seems to be a lot of one-time only reviewers for ALL Big Bear resorts and agencies. My opinion is that it is not uncommon for someone who had a bad experience to make a one-time comment but most people who take the time to post a positive review are the type of person who would take the time to do write a review, good or bad, wherever they go...so when I see a glowing review by someone who has never written ANY review before or after I am suspicious.

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

I used to have my cabin listed with Cool Cabins back before they become 400+ cabins.

Basically, what has happened is that they have lost control of quality. They have too many cabins to maintain and not enough personnel. It was a big reason why I took my cabin off their rental program.

We have pride in ownership, unlike many absentee rental owners. At one point CC was renting our place out for much less than we could make a profit or even break even on as they would take 20-30% of the rental fee off the top. Then you have to pay for cleaning, anything they felt needed to be fixed, etc.

It became a losing venture. Not to mention they lied to us that they would NOT have more than 100 cabins for rent so they could maintain some quality.

Even our place, which we would come up and inspect every 6-8 weeks as our schedule allowed, would have "leftover" laundry, not cleaned (even though we PAID), problems with the hot tub, etc.

I would stick with smaller companies where they can give better service.

We no longer rent out our cabin at all at this point.

Big Bear Lake
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cool Cabins Warning - Stay Away!

hoober - it's a shame you've removed your cabin from any program. We lodging agencies NEED homeowners like you. Unfortunately many homeowners do NOT care about keeping their properties in good shape and taking care of maintenance.

You are onto something when you say the service worsened when they got as big as they are. Please note there are many of us here who maintain much smaller agencies and I highly recommend you look into them.

There IS, though, a basic problem in offering your home for rental. The unfortunate reality is that guests can be hard on a property. I'm not even talking about those who feel their rental paid entitles them to steal things from the home. And then when someone DOES steal, it is nearly impossible to collect damages. Of course the guest will deny they took anything and unless you have hard evidence, charging them is next to impossible and of course then you run the risk of the guest coming to forums like this and slamming you for the extra charges. We've never had a guest admit to taking things even when we are 99.9% SURE they did it.

It's a tough market out there for everyone. It is nice to keep your cabin for your own usage only but in this economy it may be nearly impossible to continue to do so.

Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region