We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

Los ANgeles, CA
1 post
Save Topic
anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We're heading to Snow Summit for a weekend ski trip with 2 beginner skiers (children). Any recommendations for good lodging walking distance to Snow Summit?

Thanks,

Ski Mama (I hope!)

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

There are lots of privately owned condos on the road up to Snow Summit...I'd suggest googling Big Bear vacation rentals or something similar, to find some property management sites.

Los Angeles
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

whatever you do..

please do not stay at Three Pines Lodge.

It is overpriced and not worth the heartache and money!

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We used to like the Grey Squirrel Inn...

San Diego
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We just got back from staying at the Snow Summit Townhouses. The location is great!!! Snow Summit Townhouses are walking distance to the slopes, so coming back for lunch was very nice. The units have 2 or 3 bedrooms all very large with fireplaces, an outside closet to store you ski equipment, and 2 parking spaces provided.

Each condo is privately owned and they are all very different. This can be the gamble! Ours #23 was yucky. It appeared it had not been cleaned in years!!!! Our friends stayed in #58 which was very nice, modern and clean. In our unit #23 I had to wash all the kitchen items before use as they had food still on some of them. The kitchen had a mismatch of items that looked like they dated back to the 70's. The website listed the condo as having 3 TV's with VCR/DVD this was not the case. We had a foosball game table in the condo that was completely damaged and not useable. The bedding was very old and soiled. There was no vacuum. When I advise the office/management about all of the problems they said thank you for telling us but did nothing else. Why the same people cleaned both units and yet they appear very different is beyond me.

Great place to stay. Be careful which unit and make sure to ask a lot of questions.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We had friends that owned one of those condos...yes, very close to the slopes. The reason that some condos have mismatched things from the 1970s is because they are privately owned...and many owners rent out, and they don't trust renters...so they just put old stuff in it so they don't have to worry about it. What a shame. I'm sorry that you had a yucky one, but I'm glad you posted here. I hope that you also post on the reviews, as well.

Orange, CA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We stayed at 3 Pines Lodge. Had a great time. They even hooked us up with free Snowboard lessons at Snow Summit for the kids.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We just purchased a unit in Escape and those are the units to the left if you are going up Summit Dr. The walk from our unit to the slopes is about 3 minutes. Yes...it was old and dirty when we bought it one month ago but we are gutting it, putting in new bathrooms and a new kitchen and all new flooring. All new furniture as well, nothing will be re-used. The previous owners had it in the rental program but I am not sure how it ever rented...there are only 3 forks in the kitchen!! We will have the unit listed in a month or so. Our e-mail address is jconway673@aol.com if anyone is interested. We will have photos once it is done.

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

We stayed at Angels Landing. I will admit I didn't want to stay at a hotel up in the snow and this place was awesome, had a jacuzzi and foozeball (?) with a large deck, the snow on the roof tops in the mornings and the view of the summit was gorgeous. We caught several squirrels just "hanging loose". We would definately stay there again, if we can brave the heavy fog coming up which scared the cr#p out of us.....

Orange County
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone have a recommendation for loding near Snow Summit?

Snow Summit is great, but honestly, you might want to think about Snow Valley if you're mostly interested in beginner terrain. You may hear "funny" things about Snow Valley, but when the snow is good, the area is fun. And Snow Valley's beginner terrain is, IMO, a better environment for beginner skiiers. Especially on weekends.

Just a thought. Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region