We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer-please help

glasgow
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer-please help

We are coming to California for one week and we are having trouble deciding where to stay, we have been offered condo's in Santa Barbara and we are also thinking of renting a condo on Big Bear Lake in April but to be honest I'm not sure if we will be like fish out of water, we don't ski or snow board, we like to chill out, go shopping, eat out and just relax and tour the local area but we really like getting away from the normal touristy areas, we are open to any suggestions and my husband has always wanted to stay in the California mountains,but I am leaning toward the beach, I would be so grateful for any advice from people in the know.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer-please help

I'm assuming it's just the two of you? I'm thinking of what all you can do in Big Bear.... There are certainly plenty of good restaurants to give you variety for going out to eat. A bit early for you going out on your own on a boat but there are big tourist boats that take people all around the lake any time of year, giving the info of the history, etc. That's very interesting. There's the Discovery Center where you can ask about what all there is to do.... Many different hikes are available, depending on how much snow is still on the ground.....also they are on varying levels of difficulty. They also have ranger-led Snowshoe hikes that are fun. In April, you never know.... sometimes there's zilch snow, sometimes lots of snow on the ground. We enjoy walking along the North Shore of the lake.... it's beautiiful. There are two movie theaters showing 6 movies....usually very new movies. There's the Bowling Barn, which is something we do with grandkids in BB.... though we don't normally go bowling. Very fun : ) The village has great shopping.. Also, you could drive over to Lake Arrowhead and shop there. ANd we like just being in the cabin.... reading, tv, rented DVDs, enjoying all the squirrels and birds that come on the deck.... of course, a bird feeder and lots of peanuts help. We think there is plenty to do!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer-please help

The ladies in my family (including myself) love shopping in the village. Strolling along the lake will be lovely, but a bit cool, in April. There is a nice path near the discovery center. We really just enjoy relaxing with the amazing view. Based on the weather so far this year, I am expecting April to have some snow, but not a lot.

There is certainly more to do in Santa Barbara of all sorts of activities, but for just relaxing, I would choose Big Bear. Also, the beach will be quite chilly in Santa Barbara during that time.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer-please help

Why can't you split your time? We live at the beach near LAX, and many is the time my son drives up to BB at 6 am, and goes skiing half a day, then drives back home and goes surfing at 4 PM.

You could also stay at the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, 3 miles south of LAX when you arrive, to get over jet lag. Moderate prices, free parking in laid back surf town. Gorgeous sunset views from the balconies. Then drive up to Big Bear two hours away. Lots of shops and restaurants in walking distance, and a neighborhood market across the street from the SV.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

glasgow
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer-please help

Thanks everyone for all your advice, we have decided to split our time between Big Bear and Santa Barbara so we get the best of both worlds, really looking forward to our vacation, especially Big Bear as it sounds so relaxing.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer-please help

You will love the charm of Santa Barbara. Be sure to go visit the SB Mission and grounds. One of 21 in CA. Also, a new baby giraffe was born in the zoo yesterday, named Daniel.

Have fun.

6. Re: First timer-please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region