We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation near ski resort.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Accomodation near ski resort.

Hi, as explained in previous post, we are a family of four (2adults, 2 kids) travelling to California in Feb 2013. We are hoping to stay at Big Bear Lake & ski at Summit Mountain. I have emailed the ski resort & no reply. I have emailed the community tourist website & no reply. I have read previous forums and I have studied the lodging lists and maps, however I am confused. Which part of Big Bear is walking distance to ski resort - Moonridge, upper or lower? ?? Or an other area? We will have a car but want to limit driving. So just want clean lodgings close to Resort entry and restaurants. Or is there a shuttle to the resort? We prefer hotel style or B&B ( 4 people in one room). There are so many cabin choices. Some cabin names I've read in previous forum post I can't find on maps. Any help is appreciated.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Accomodation near ski resort.

Big Bear consists of the "Village" which is the main area where shops and restaurants are within walking distance of each other. The rest is pretty spread out - along highway 18 mainly, as well as the side roads that go up to Moonridge, etc. It's not that far - a few miles - but not something you can walk. I always drive to Big Bear so have a car and am unsure of their public transit options though I do know there is a taxi service and they run a shuttle during Oktoberfest - and I really think they run it during ski season because I remember discussing traffic during winter with our shuttle driver one Oktoberfest (but I can't find that info anywhere - which I realize doesn't help you much - sorry).

The gist of it is that if you stay in the cabin or condo rentals by Snow Summit, you will not be within walking distance of any shops, restaurants, etc. They do keep the roads clear so that is not an issue. You are right in that there seem to be a million different cabin rental options, plus your traditional motels and B&Bs. My choice would depend on budget and if you want something with a kitchen. If the latter, you might check out rentals near Snow Summit and just buy groceries and cook - that way you wouldn't need to drive to a restaurant every day.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Accomodation near ski resort.

Thanks Koda for your reply. It has cleared up a few concerns. I think we will try to stay in or near the village and drive to the ski resort. I really, really really don't want to be cooking and cleaning on holiday and the village looks lovely by the lake. My budget is about $150 per day.

Thanks again.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Accomodation near ski resort.

I can recommend the Pine Knot Guest Ranch. I think all but 1 of their little cabins has separate sleeping areas and a small kitchen to breakfast or snacks. Owned by a nice family and a 5 minute walk to the heart of the village.

4. Re: Accomodation near ski resort.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region