We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay-recommendations?

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
One night stay-recommendations?

Hi TA,

We will be driving up fr Upland on 29 Dec to the Big Bear region. we are 2 families totalling 7 pax. This is our first visit n am overwhelmed by the number of resorts . Our purpose is to play with snow, maybe to ski as beginners and stay for the night.

What accomodation is recommended? We will only be staying for one night n just need to be near food,n snow play.

Mentioned in this post
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Hello sf123_9, and welcome to the Big Bear Region forum.

I take it you will be visiting Snow Summit, which is where people go downhill snow skiing. That's not more than four miles or so away from Big Bear City. I would look for accommodations there or in Big Bear Region as TripAdvisor calls it. . . this is the area surrounding Big Bear City itself, which is a lot smaller than the general area around it.

I notice the Best Western Plus Big Bear Chateau has good reviews of late. Older property not too far off the main road, so it's quiet, and only a mile give or take to Snow Summit. Within walking distance of restaurants. Here's the link: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32074-d285306-…

Here's a link on Big Bear Region Hotels that are listed here on TripAdvisor (TA): tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32074-Big_Bear_Regio… If you want to stay close to Snow Summit, pick a lodging that is with a Zip Code of 92315, which is Big Bear City and the immediate region surrounding it.

I agree. . . it can be overwhelming to find lodging in this resort area if you are not familiar with it. Coming from Singapore, I understand. Hope the above information helps. Please let us know on the forum if you need more, and the forum members will be happy to help. Enjoy your vacation time with us.

Mentioned in this post
Snow Summit
Snow Summit
396 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Big Bear City
Big Bear City
Big Bear Region, CA
Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Hi

Thank you. For those lodgings that are by the lake, must we travel up to the summit to hve some snow activities for children? Could we drive up to the summit or are the lodgings there accessible by lift chairs only?

BTW, why Big bear park? Aby sightings of wild bear in recent years?

Mentioned in this post
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Hi, sf. You're welcome. Depending on the weather, snow may be right at your hotel door. . . or you may have to travel the short distance to Snow Summit. Depending on weather conditions, the snow there may be all natural or manmade snow. FYI. We've had a couple of decent storms lately in the last few weeks, so they have some natural snow and are open for business, due to the manmade snow being put out there on the grounds.

Traveling from your hotel to Snow Summit is by automobile. Lift chairs are for within the Snow Summit resort area only, and have no connection with any lodgings.

The name Big Bear is a wildlife type of name, but there's been no sightings of wild bears in recent years that I am aware of. Big Bear is a well known name to Southern Californians who want to get away to the San Bernardino Mountains to enjoy nature, hikes, quiet, rest, and in season, winter activities such as snow skiing.

Mentioned in this post
Snow Summit
Snow Summit
396 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Hi thanks again.

May i ask again, what do you think of Summit Ski Pad? There are 3 BR cabin sufficient for us, but, is it far from the lake or near snow activites?

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Hi, sf. If you mean this, resorttownrentals.com/rent/summit-ski-pad , I'd surmise that looks rather nice. I'd contact the management company at the "Contact Us" link provided at the top of their page.

I don't think this would be far from Big Bear Lake (the actual lake, not the town). Shouldn't be very far from snow resorts and similar outdoor recreation. Again, ask the resort rental company for that info for specifics.

Mentioned in this post
Big Bear Lake
Big Bear Lake
557 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Thanks, Underdog, u hve been very helpful.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

>>BTW, why Big bear park? Aby sightings of wild bear in recent years?<<

The area was originally named Bear Valley when it was discovered in the mid 1800's. There was a large grizzly bear population then. There have not been grizzly bears there for over 100 years, but there are black bears in the area. Nothing to worry about, though!

The present day "Big Bear Lake" is man made and was dammed in the 1920's I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Big Bear Lake
Big Bear Lake
557 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Hi

Thanks. Btw, my other family has booked Bay Meadows, how do you find that place? Convenient?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,815 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Bay Meadows Resort is a nice place and well regarded. It is walking distance to a snow play area called Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain.

http://www.alpineslidebigbear.com/

I would for sure visit the Big Bear Zoo at Moonridge to see some native species. I have great memories of the zoo when some retired movie animals lived there.

http://bigbearzoo.org/opening-times/

Mentioned in this post
Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain
Alpine Slide at Magic...
247 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night stay-recommendations?

Thank you very much to Underdog, half-Brit and Scottca075 for your valuable inputs. Really looking forward to visit Big Bear Lake. Will be in LA from 13 Dec onwards.

Mentioned in this post
Big Bear Lake
Big Bear Lake
557 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region