We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there usually snow at Christmas

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is there usually snow at Christmas

We would like to experience a white Christmas and were wondering if there is usually snow on the ground around the cabins and lake front or is it just at the ski area?

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

Well, you can ski all year at Mt. Hood (Oregon)...it's quite a long drive from San Francisco, though.

Snow at Mammoth by Christmas is pretty much a given...see mammothmountain.com/winter/ski-ride/mountain…

From Mammoth, you can take 395 to Interstate 80 and go over to San Francisco that way.

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

Your right, I misread the replies about Tahoe and Mammoth. sorry about that.

We didnt want to have to fly to the snow as we want to do a bit of sightseeing along the way, so dont mind taking a couple of days to get there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

2011 was the last wet winter we had. Seeing snow in Tahoe in May IS unusual.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

Mammoth almost always has snow at Christmas, except this past Christmas when conditions were abysmal. The mountain usually has 100 inches, this past year it was 20, which sounds like a lot, but is really below minimum coverage for skiers.

We used to go to Big Bear for Christmas. We always had snow on the ski slopes, though not always in the residential areas. Big Bear is in no way as good as Mammoth, but it is closer to LA and they have some play areas that make their own snow. Our lodging and skiing always came out cheaper there then if we had gone to Mammoth.

The drive to Big Bear is shorter, but a little bit tougher because you have to avoid LA traffic and then you end up having a tremendously scenic, but winding drive up the mountain. No fun for anyone prone to car sickness. There are other ways up the mountain that are longer but less winding. The drive to Mammoth is longer but it is almost all freeway driving. If either place has snow then you get into the tricky situation of dealing with tire chains. The rental car companies don't like you to put chains on their cars because it is really easy to do damage to a car if a chain gets loose. Also a lot of cars can't accommodate chains. You have to buy chains at either a ski shop or some auto parts stores. Get help putting them on. If you rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle you legally need to carry chains, but you don't have to put them on, so that might be your best alternative. If you ever have to put on chains, there are normally state certified installers next to the road to help you.

Also note that you will be sleeping at 2500 meters. In the winter we have had everyone slightly miserable from getting lousy sleep and feeling crappy because of the dry conditions. In addition we have rented really nice large houses and two story condos that were cursed with an upstairs that was swelteringly hot and the downstairs bedrooms were freezing. It took several days to get that adjusted right. All that being said, we loved our time at Mammoth and Big Bear.

Edited: 01 August 2014, 01:59
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

I understand your thinking about seeing Oregon as a 'bonus' to finding snow. However, even though there is skiing at Mt Hood and there will most likely be snow at the upper ski areas, there may not be snow in other places. Also -- and this is important since you want to tour around -- Oregon in winter is wet. It rains a lot. The inland valley doesn't get as much rain as the coast, but chances are in December you will have no more than about 4 or 5 days that are sunny and pleasant. Depending upon where you are, the rest will be rainy, cloudy, wet, foggy, possibly windy . . . you get the idea.

Oregon is far more enjoyable between late spring and late fall :-)

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

It so good to get advice from people who really know the areas well. I had done a little research on my own but as someone mentioned looking at graphs of weather averages isnt that informative. I have a good amount of time to plan and the advice received shows i will need to work out exactly what i want to do and exactly how much time i want to spend in each area etc.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my query.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has thoughts about where to have a white christmas.

many thanks

Lynn

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

Well, read post 1 again. There are many delightful resorts that meet all your criteria.

Utah and Colorado are states to the east /northeast of California. They have more reliable snow, of better quality, and cater to skiers of all descriptions. Skiing and snowplay are some of their tourist specialties.

You either fly into Salt Lake City for Utah, or Denver for Colorado.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 03:47
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

We are also planning a christmas vacation for Christmas december 2015 and are From australia.

We are tossing up between big bear and mammoth

Queensland...
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

I am also from Australian and looking to spend a rushed trip possibly to Big Bear Region. It looks so beautiful. I see that Mammoth is also very appealing. I think that you can go by plane to Mammoth from LA for around $59USD.(Alaska Airlines) Are there any flights to Big Bear Snow Resorts too?

20. Re: Is there usually snow at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 14:01
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region