We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family fun in Bodega Bay

Paradise, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Family fun in Bodega Bay

My family and I are renting a house in Bodega Bay in a few weeks. We have been to other northern California coastal towns before. Does anyone have any suggestions as to fun things to do in this area?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

Have you taken a look at this site: www.bodegabay.com Walking Bodega Head is one of the most delightful things to do, but have a jacket handy as it can get windy during the afternoon. There are seashell shops, a cotton candy vendor and a fabulous Asian art gallery to browse (Ren Brown Gallery) all along Hwy. 1. Drive to Jenner and observe (from a distance) the seals lounging at the mouth of the Russian River where it meets the ocean. Last yr. there was a resident elephant seal there named "Nibbles" but I don't think he's come back this yr. (Good thing since he was attacking seals and anyone else along the way!) If you wish, drive north (about 30 mi. from Bodega Bay) to Fort Ross State Historic Park where a stunning recreation of a Russian fort awaits you. Great museum and bookstore there, too. There are also very scenic views behind the fort's wall along the ocean bluffs.

Paradise, California
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

Thank you Forestvillian. I am new to this web site and I am just overjoyed with all of the information everyone has provided. My family and I all REALLY need a vacation and i feel with all of your help this one is going to be one of our best yet. Again, thank you for all of your input!!!

Northern California
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

Drive along the coast. Find some tidepools. Bodega Head is great. Go for a hike/walk. Enjoy the beaches. Go to the kite shop; buy/fly a kite. Go to the Tides Restaurant, walk along the dock. On westside, walk along the breakwater/pier. Go clamming. Wait, don't go clamming. When tide is low, go to the jetty at the end of Doran beach, look for crabs/hermit crabs. Bring a big shovel and build a HUGE sand castle. Bring binoculars; look for deer, fishing boats, coast line, etc.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

We do a lot of geocaching there. www.geocaching.com

Go over Coleman Valley Road to Occidental and walk around stores.

Ojai, California
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

Coleman Valley Road is absolutely beautiful. I prefer to take it from Occidental to the coast (it ends at HWY 1), as the view are just gorgeous. It is a hilly, windy and at times narrow road. So if you do take it, go slowly and be safe, oh and watch for cows. More than once we had to stop and wait for a cow to move off of the road so we could continue.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

How old are your kids? If you think they're old enough, I'd suggest that you rent Hitchcock's "The Birds" beforehand, and then go up to the top of the Inn at the Tides property and look down at The Tides (one of the scenes), then go into the town of Bodega and see the schoolhouse etc. Then drive over to Occidental and have a VERY big Italian dinner at either the Union Hotel - a restaurant - or Negri's. (The small town is very much about its historic restaurants.) Oh, and if you do, try to refrain from eating much beforehand that day, like my family did while I was growing up.

Doran Regional Park on the south side of the harbor - mainly a long, wide, curving beach - is just super for kids. As mentioned, it can be windy.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

Whoops. Almost forgot: Breakfast at the Inn of the Tides (which is very good with its variety of little hot muffins and crabmeat omelettes) often features one or two of the sea lions who hang around there as entertainment. They hang around not for your dining pleasure, but for theirs, because the Tides' dock is a working fish and crab wharf.

8. Re: Family fun in Bodega Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 19:21
Get answers to your questions about Bodega Bay