We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Bodega Bay to 101

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Bodega Bay to 101

Which is the least windy and curvy drive to get from Bodega Bay back to 101, going to Santa Rosa or Petaluma?

Thanks,

Stampincat

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

There aren't any that aren't windy/curvy - they're all about the same. Depends on what you're looking for - Russian River Road (a bit longer) is probably prettier, but also either one through the town of Bodega to Sebastopol to Santa Rosa or through Valley Ford to Petaluma has a few curves - I always to Petaluma because I head to the Sacramento area, but I've driven almost every route available between the Sacramento area and Bodgea Bay in the last 45 years or so, and they're all about the same - just slow down and enjoy them, and let the person that gets carsick sit in front and take something like Sudafed that keeps sinuses open (that's where the car/sea sickness comes from). They're all very nice drives, and at least no what I would call hills.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

Stampincat,

I am *astounded* that lucysmom who professes to have been on all the roads in the last 45 years would make the statement that there are no non-curvy roads between Bodega Bay and Petaluma.

Trust me. Just stay on Hwy 1 south after Bodega Bay and ignore the turnoff to keep you on Hwy 1. You are then on the Bodega Highway and in about 23 miles will be in Petaluma where you can hook up with Hwy 101.

Easy Peasy....we do it all the time, even in reverse.

In the meantime you will be traversing lovely almost flat pastoral country with rolling hills with cows and NO windy curves or anything like that.

Have a good trip.

Edited: 16 October 2011, 06:46
Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

We got back on 9/19. Ü We did Bodega to Petaluma and it was not windy at all. What surprised us was how extrememly windy it was from Legget to Fort Bragg on Highway 1. I had to take ginger caps and don't ususally get car sick. Felt better once we were out of the woods and could see the sea.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

It sounds as if you came all the way down Highway 1, yes?

Wondering if you had trouble between Fort Bragg and Leggett, how did you do on the stretch from Fort Ross to Jenner?

I love this drive, but then I have not been carsick since I was 12 :~)

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

We did Highway 1 Leggett to Bodega Bay.

I did much better there. Still very twisty at times but had some decent stretches and great vistas. We thought it interesting that some hairpin turns were marked ahead of time and some weren't. Some marked way, way ahead.

Can you tell me what the tall trees with the peeling bark were? Loved those along the north coast highway. I thought they might be eucalyptus but it looked almost like they had a type of pine needle.

Edited: 17 October 2011, 01:20
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

Redwoods?

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

Peeling trees might have been eucalyptus. And, Puter, I do drive the Bodega to Petaluma route almost exclusively when going to BB, especially if I'm pulling something (leaving tomorrow a.m. to camp at Westside pulling a 5th wheel, as a matter of fact) and a lot of people get freaked out by the windy canyon between the Bodega turn off and Bodega Bay itself. Some people call 17 to Santa Cruz windy/curvy (which it is) and I drive it all the time, too, and it doesn't phase me but I have friends that hate the drive. It's all subjective as to what one calls "curvy/windy", and, having grown up in far Northern California and Southern Oregon before there was an I-5, I know windy/curvy.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

Redwoods do not peel.No doubt you mean the Australian imports eucalyptus.

9. Re: Route from Bodega Bay to 101

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2016, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Bodega Bay