We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-clear security

Bobbo00
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Pre-clear security

I have CLEAR security membership, however I don’t have pre-TSA. Does anyone know if both is necessary to get expedited security?

Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
128 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
Special Offer
Pirates Dinner Adventure Buena Park
22 Reviews
from US$59.99*
US$67.42
Special Offer
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament...
32 Reviews
from US$52.99*
US$69.65
4 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Pre-clear security

For what? Unclear what you’re looking to do since you posted in the Buena Park forum.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Pre-clear security

Clear lets you skip the line to get your ID checked and they funnel you right into the line for regular screening (i.e., the body scanners).

TSA Pre-check is for people who've been background checked and the screening is a "lite" screening where you leave your shoes on and your laptops and 3-1-1 bags in your carry-on, and it's an old-fashioned magnetometer (metal detector).

VA
Level Contributor
1 post
457 reviews
3. Re: Pre-clear security

You need both if you fly at all with any frequency.

CLEAR is a wonderful service and has saved me on numerous occasions. You go to the front of the line. That is a life saver. CLEAR is not at all US airports yet. Examples where it is terrific: NY LaGuardia, Reagan National Airport, etc. But there is no CLEAR at Houston's Intercontinental Airport (soon to be our nation's third largest city . . . )

So you also need TSA. That often has shorter faster lines. As more and more people sign up for TSA pre-check, then CLEAR becomes the way to have no line at the airport (at the participating airports).

And GLOBAL ENTRY is a must if you do any significant, frequent overseas traveling. You skip the beastly lines at US border control on the return to the USA.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Pre-clear security

I've never bothered with CLEAR, and I've only missed one flight, and it wasn't due to security.

Reply to: Pre-clear security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted