We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knotts Berry or DL or Universal?

Which Buena Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Knotts Berry or DL or Universal?

Coming to CA in August with three boys 13, 10,7 in tow... which is more fun and not too crazy in $$ wise? Should we do Knotts Berry, Universal or DL... Should tell you we've been to DW in Florida as well as Universal.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knotts Berry or DL or Universal?

Depends what your boys like. Knott's is the least expensive and is fun. You'll finish the park easily in a day. It is nice as it has some fun family rides and shows as well as a couple of "extreme" rides.

Universal Hollywood is very different that Universal in FL. There is the back lot tour and less rides. It depends on your interest. If they enjoy learning how movies are filmed and t.v. shows, Universal can be fun. If they are really into it, the WB Studio Tour is probably a better option.

Disneyland is very similar and very different all at the same time to Florida. If you are a Disney fan, definitely go to DL / CA, but if you can take it or leave it skip it as it is the most $$ wise.

Knott's also has a water park right next door - Knott's Soak City which is fun on a hot day.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knotts Berry or DL or Universal?

I dont think the kids will like Universal as much as Knotts Berry Farm. Knotts is more thrill ride oriented and Universal is more about movie sets with some rides thrown in the mix. If you have been to DW, I guess you dont need to do a repeat since I have heard that DW is much more larger than DL.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knotts Berry or DL or Universal?

Well, Disneyland is somewhat different than WDW and some people who have been to both like DLR better. Universal Hollywood is different that Universal in Florida, as mentioned. If you are not big on seeing the differences and you really want to save money and do something completely different, go to Knott's. Here is their website, which will open to the page with the special promotions.

http://www.knotts.com/hot/index.asp

It's better to go with the Ralph's promo than with the after 4 promo because if you go after 4 you miss a lot of shows and Knott's sometimes closes at 10 or 11 in the summer anyway. You can probably sign up for a Ralph's Club Card (free) on line, or get ahead and get one when you get here. It only takes a few minutes to complete a simple little application.

Also, if you don't want to eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, the Backyard Barbeque tickets are a good deal. Looks like they are available on weekends only.

I think with the ages of your boys, Knott's will have something to interest each of them. In August, I suggest that you arrive at the park as early as possible because there will be a lot of people there and also because there is not as much shade as in a Disney Park. It's best to see the Wild West Stunt show as early as you can since that is one place that will be in the sun.

You can enjoy breakfast before you start your day at Mrs. Knott's, or have pastries in the Farm Bakery. Don't forget that the Knott's Marketplace and Independence Hall is right outside the park and you can visit before entering, or get your hand stamped, and visit in the afternoon.

I also want to suggest, if you are visiting San Diego, that you consider going to Sea World as well as Knott's.

4. Re: Knotts Berry or DL or Universal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Buena Park