We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

el paso,tx
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

Ok, I need some help! I'm planning on taking my three sons, 16,13,12 on vacation to Southern California. We have most of the trip scheduled with one day left and we're looking at either Magic Mountain or Knotts Berry Farm. The oldest loves rollercoasters, the two younger ones aren't sure if they do or don't (dont you love kids!). We did Six Flags in San Antonio and they loved it. Any opinions/Help?

Thanks.

Hendersonville, TN
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

I would say although Knott's has some rollercoasters, it's definitely more laid back and more of a family atmosphere.

Magic Mountain is pretty much full of thrill rides and your younger ones may not be able to brave the bigger coasters, leaving them feeling a bit left out.

I think your safe bet for a good time is Knott's Berry Farm. Something for everyone.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

I say for your 3 boys Magic Mountain, without a doubt. By Jr high we were all crazy for Magic Mountian!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,521 posts
1,863 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

Magic mountain with kid of those ages.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

I don't understand. If you went to Six Flags and everyone loved it, how can the younger ones not be sure that they love rollercoasters? Six Flags = Rollercoasters.

I would vote for Knotts because, well, it's not Six Flags (which you've already gone to). Plus, you can easily re-visit Six Flags in San Antonio.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

Knotts! Without question. You must go to knott's! Chuck...

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

Knott's Berry Farm has terrific coasters for the bigger ones and will not scare the heck out of the little ones. It is really a great park!. They just opened Pony Express. Knott's has Accelerator at 0-82 mph in 2 seconds, Ghost Rider 65 mph 110 up and 108 directly down then a nice spine aligning wooden rollar coaster ride. It also has Supreme Scream 300 feet up and down. There a cool shows where magic mountain really doesn't have any. The 12 -13 year olds will find all kinds of rides that are great and middle of the road. You'll like them too.

Magic Mountain here is mostly about screaming extremely high coasters. Ride lines in the summer months can exceeed 2 hours easily. Knott's is pretty even at no line to 1 hour at peak periods.

I would chose Knotts.

Southern California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

Knott's Berry Farm used to be a great family park. Now it doesn't really have enough for anyone... Not enough stuff everyone can ride on. A few rollercoasters for the big kids, a few kids rides for the small kids. Also, I'd like to complain about how great Ghost Rider was, and how bad it's become... It's basically so jarring and rough, it's painful to ride now. Silver Bullet is really good though, and will help your 16 year old get over the fact that he's missing Magic Mountain.

Magic Mountain is awesome. IF YOU LOVE ROLLERCOASTERS. That's really all the park is. There's a lot of really good rollercoasters up there, but there's not too much else. X2, Scream, The Riddler's Revenge, Goliath, and Deju Vu are really good coasters.

I'd vote that if the two younger ones feel like riding some coasters, Magic Mountain. If they don't think they'll be up to it, then Knott's Berry Farm.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

I absolutely love thrill rides and went back to Knotts Berry Farm 3 times in the 10 days I was in L.A. Its an amazing theme park and they'll definately absolutely love it. Can't comment on it vs Magic Mountain.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,103 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

Magic Mountain all the way, they have coasters that will also appeal to your little one andof course the big unique rides like x2 and tatsu you can find nowere else in the world

Not every Six Flags park is like the other, Magic Mountain sure is unique because of it'ssize alone. They also have plenty of fun waterrides and other attractions

Knotts pretty much lost it's appeal after cedar fair bought it, it's old charm is missing. There great goldrusher coaster is horrible to ride these days. They closed old family and ark ride attractions and operations arehorrendous. There is no comparison

Six Flags San Antonio is about half the size of Magic Mountain, so make sure to budget an entire day if you choose to visit the park

10. Re: Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Buena Park