We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

We are a New Zealand family of 2 Adults and 2 kids (8yrs 54" and 4yrs 43").

We will be staying at The Disneyland Hotel from Mon 12 May, until Sat 17 May, but will really only have Tue, Wed, Thurs, Fri as full days to do things.

As well as Disneyland we are thinking of going to Knottsberry Farm, but I see portions of Camp Snoopy may be closed due to refurbishment. Does anyone know how much will be closed during our dates and what other rides/attractions would there be for our girls. They both scare pretty easily and are not really into coaster/thrill rides. Just trying to weigh up if it would still be worth going?

Thanks for your help.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

All the main concrete pathway replacement is done, all they need to do is install a few of the new rides, I would say it is about 85% done, and might be closer to that by the time you arrive, the goal is to have it done by the end of May. Knot's has been placing updates on their website.

https:/…camp-snoopy-construction-updates

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

A must see for your entire family is the Mystery Lodge attraction. It is a Native American storytelling show with special effects that has family at its central core. The old storyteller talks about the legend of the owl and the raven, then goes on to tell the story of when he was younger and met the woman he fell in love with, the children she gave him, and how we are all connected through the generations. At the end, he disappears!

The outside of this attraction is one of the nicest themed areas in the park. As you walk up to the queue you will see beautiful rock cliffs, one with a waterfall, the other with the shape of the face of a Native American. Below those is part of the large water way that makes up the Bigfoot Rapids ride that is next to it. Looking in the water below you may see the imprint of Bigfoot! You will definitely see some koi fish.

Once inside the attraction, there is a pre-show area with a lot of room to sit down on a carpet and rest awhile, the main show is inside a medium sized theater with rows of benches, and a stage with glass separating it from the audience (due to the nature of the special effects).

Rides for your entire family would be:

Stagecoach ride (Try requesting to sit outside - they sometimes but entire families inside, where it is a bit confining, but they might be able to fit you all up front with the 2 drivers or split your party two in front and two in back. Outside is nicer, but if you get inside it does give you an idea of what it was like to travel that way.)

Calico and Rio Grande Steam Locomotive (Authentic, the engines and all the cars were originally frome the Rio Grande line and were saved by Mr. Knott. The engines are around 130 years old. They don't run both engines in one day, but the train runs multipule times a day, about 10 minutes each. There are cowboys at the train station. The train is "robbed" every day on most runs. The cowboys hop on board in the back as the train leaves the station, so no one on the train knows they will become bandits. You may want to prepare your girls. They come in with a lot shot in the back car. By the time they are in the front car, everyone knows they are coming. Lots of laughter takes place, as they sometimes make jokes.)

Timber Mt. Log Ride (Flume ride with a small drop inside that is shorter than Pirates of the Caribbean and a long drop at the end that, to the best of my knowledge, is not as steep as Splash Mountain. Nicely themed in both the queue and ride. Animated loggers and mountain themes. Tandeum bench like seating, a long row in back, short row in front. Riders are sometimes asked if they want front or back. You are likely to get a little wet on this ride, moreso if in front.)

Bigfoot Rapids (Riders sit in a large well constructed intertube that spins as it travels through man made "rapids" and under short waterfall. Almost guaranteed to get very wet.)

Bumper Cars (check the height requirements first)

I would add the Calico Mine Train but that is not scheduled to open again until mid June.

In Camp Snoopy, all the way in, there is a ferris wheel that is small, yet tall enough to offer adults some enjoyment. Your kids may like it. It offers some nice views, as it is at the edge of the park boundry and there is some green space across the street on one side and it's kind of interesting to see the cars on the street as well. A short walk from the ferris wheel is the Jaguar coaster. This is a fairly calm coaster. The most thrill it has is some banked curves and it feels fast, but is not as fast as some. It goes under some pine tree branches. Check height requirments. Also in Camp Snoopy is a nice creek with a waterfall and barrel bridges to and from a tall cave. The cave has a large opening at the other end. So you can walk across the barrel bridges, go through the cave and come out the other side just fine. This is in the High Sierra area of Camp Snoopy, where the updates where going on, but it may be accessable now.

The show in the Calico Saloon, highlighted with can-can dancers at the end, is well worth the visit. The saloon itself is a recreation of what a saloon in the wild west would be like, not a fancy, bit city saloon. As kids, we had the most fun watching from the little balcony, but most of the action near the tables is up front.

The Wild West Stunt Show is fun. The kids may enjoy watching from the seats in one of the covered wagons or from up close in the "splash zone" if it is a hot day.

I noticed Knott's has a new show called Peanuts Party in the Park, which takes place at the Charleston Fountain, near the entrance to the Boardwalk, but it may have been just for spring. In any case, there should be a Peanuts Show in Camp Snoopy.

If still interested in visiting Knott's Berry Farm's theme park, I would suggest calling them once you are at your hotel to make sure the shows you want to see are scheduled for a day you think you may go.

There is an area of Knott's Berry Farm that does not require admission fee and that is called the California Marketplace and Independence Hall. Independence Hall is a replica of our national treasure in Philidelphia and features a replica of the Liberty Bell and an audio presentation that is special. There is a duck pond in front and chickens and roosters roaming around as well as picnic tables nearby. The Marketplace has the famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, Chicken To Go, Farm Bakery, Berry Market and a couple of other gift stores.

Oh, and one more thing the theme park has is the Pan for Gold, which is an added fee, but everyone is taught to pan for gold and everyone actually does end up with some hold!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

Reading over my post after lunch, I see I made a few typos that I apologize for but I assume you understand what I meant.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

Not sure how to take the comments on completeness of Camp Snoopy. If the rides are not in, it will not be very interesting or fun. I have not been in a few weeks but it seems unlikely from post 1 that it will be complete when you would like to visit.

Have you considered Legoland? It is a great park for children, lots to do and see! The park is dedicated to children and tons of fun.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

A couple of new rides are being installed, and more than likely be ready by mid-May. The plussing of the Railroad with Peanuts AA's hasn't been done yet, and work on the new meet and greet area is progressing.

The large majority of rides in Camp Snoopy are open, and the improved Peanuts Stage area has open.

I was there on Friday night.

I think it is worth a visit to Knott's, especially if you are planning for a couple of weeks from now.

FYI, the Peanuts Party in the Park was a special Easter show, and will not be offered daily, but a good chance of it coming back in the summer.

Best deal is to buy tickets online 3 days or more in advance.

www.knotts.com

A lot cheaper than LEGOLAND, and no hassles driving down the I-5 freeway to Carlsbad,

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated. Thanks Redlands Redhead for the time you have taken with your post - it was really imformative and helpful. I was reading one of your other posts - Happy Birthday for a couple weeks !!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

Well, cheaper does not mean better. As someone who has taken children to all of the theme parks for years, Legoland is a definite favorite for children. There is more there for young kids, of a higher quality and more interesting vs. Knotts. The interactive nature of the park makes it unique and interesting for the kids. Camp Snoopy is cute and there are rides for little kids but they are more like carnival rides vs. the kind of rides at Disneyland or Legoland. As a local visitor who can go to all of these places anytime, Knotts is fine with kids. If I had 1 day on a big trip with an 8 and 4 year old, Legoland is what I would pick.

The drive to Legoland is normally not a problem at all.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Interestingly enough, up until a couple of weeks ago I had been planning a birthday lunch with family and extended family at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Someone in the family also thought it would be a good idea to go into the park for those who might choose to add that on. But I was fine with lunch since I love their fried chicken so much. I have a season pass and will go to the park in June anyway, but I could go either way on adding in a park visit. Well, there were too many conflicting things going on with any date that I chose, so I finally scapped that idea. Also, it was looking like some people might not be able to chip in for lunch, soooo. As you read in the other thread, I was going to go to Disneyland to celebrate my birthday, but not too sure if I will make it. This is a milestone birthday, so was thinking of something. On second thought, maybe it would make me feel special to ignore it and pretend I am not getting any older!

To answer some other things said in the thread: There is more to Knott's than Camp Snoopy, so I would not look at just that area when deciding whether to go. I am not comparing, but have to agree that admission for Legoland on the high side, as high as a Disneyland Resort Park. They are running a special right now on line, but I think it is get an extra day when you buy one day tickets. Fits some people's plans but not others. So not discounted in the way Knott's has discounts. (Unless I missed something.) Now, there almost always seems to be comp. tickets for Legoland up for auction on ebay. In fact, I have some I won from a radio station listed right now and I think I priced them to high because I haven't got a nibble. So, what I am saying is that even though Legoland Tickets are expensive, there seems to be a lot of legit comp tickets around going for less. I just saw two for $100 for the pair, basically two for the price of one. (Just be careful when considering purchasing them).

Edited: 28 April 2014, 05:44
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

I was at Knotts for a bit today. A good portion of Camp Snoopy is not finished and there is construction is going on. I saw several rides that were closed still.

Red, I agree that many theme parks are expensive, too expensive. At this point most of the parks charge quite a bit for a day ticket. DL is still more expensive than Legoland and Legoland often has discounts. Mousesavers lists them. Right now there is a 40% for 1 day or a really good deal for a 5 day ticket. This is the same with other parks, they usually have discounts whereas DL does not.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 06:35
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Camp Snoopy Closures

If you collect Coke Rewards points, now until Monday a ticket to a Cedar Fair park (including Knott's) is just 250 points.

As for driving to LEGOLAND, yesterday there was a major incident in San Clemente which added hours to the drive, and it happens on a regular basis. Orange County is starting to expand the I-5 in San Clemente which will create a lot of short term "pain" in delays getting to Oceanside, Carlsbad and places south. Alas< I have been caught in the mess many times in the last year or so, where the 90 minute drive has become over 4 hours.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 06:47
Get answers to your questions about Buena Park