We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

Dallas, TX
1 post
Save Topic
Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

My flight arrives on a Wednesday in San Diego aaround 2PM. I have no time constraints, but what is the most pleasant way, traffic-wise, to drive to Burbank? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

I am wondering why in the world you would fly into SanDiego if you are going to Burbank? It is at least a 2hr. drive without traffic. I don't think there is a pleasant way to go there.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

The easiest way is to hop on the 5 north and take it all the way up to Burbank. You will hit traffic no matter what as once you get off the plane, get luggage and your car you are at the beginning of rush hour and will be all the way through.

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

Take Amtrak from San Diego station (near the airport) to the Burbank airport. Or wait in San Diego until after 6. The drive will be a nightmare. Like being on North Central Expressway, but for 4 hours.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

Maybe drive up the coast for awhile, stop in Laguna or Newport for an early dinner (4:30pm?)....sit out the traffic until 7pm then continue up the 5 into Burbank.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

I agree with the above poster. From SAN, take I-5 north until you have the Highway 1 turn off, just north of San Clemente, continuing north on Highway 1, you could stop for dinner at Dana Point or Laguna Beach. While you will hit some traffic, it shouldn't be that bad. From Laguna Beach you can take Highway 133 (Broadway) east back to I-5. For restaurant ideas, see TA restaurant reviews for Dana Point and Laguna Beach (some restaurants have ocean views).

Of course, the obvious questions are (1) why not fly to Burbank Airport (BUR), and (2) if you must fly into SAN, consider taking the train from San Diego to Burbank (www.amtrak.com) you can rent a car at Burbank Airport where there is also an Amtrak station.

6. Re: Need the best route from San Diego to Burbank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 07:18