We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calistoga Question

DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calistoga Question

My wife and I will be traveling to Napa in July. We're trying to finalized all of our details and I was wondering if anyone thought that Calistoga was too far from things. I don't want to have to spend the entire time in the car, but it looks like you can get a little more bang for your buck (at least as far as lodging) in Calistoga. Thoughts?

San Leandro Ca.
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calistoga Question

I,m not sure where your coming from but Calistoga is

totally apart of the whole Napa experience. Even if you only

have time to drive through. It is a quaint town with some very

good resturants and places to unwind and get a massage or

their famous mud bath.It is very low key, just perfect if all you

want to do is walk around neat little shops and relax.if you do

the mud bath go to Indian Springs toward the end of the town

it is the best... Also you can reach the silverado trail from Calistoga so you can either hit your wineries from hwy 29 or

go off the beaten path and go up the Silverado Trail....

Hope You have a Great Trip....

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calistoga Question

I would rather stay in Calistoga than any other part of Napa. The traffic and bustle isn't as bad there and there are many wineries close at hand. The drive from there past Chateau Montelena to Sonoma Valley (128) is gorgeous-don't miss it! Calistoga doesn't have all the critically acclaimed restaurants, but they aren't that far away. We have had really good meals at Wappo's and at other places there.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calistoga Question

I agree with the former post.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calistoga Question

I agree with others that Calistoga will offer a uniquely delightful experience in the Napa Valley--more peaceful, rural and relaxed. It's a very walkable, pretty little town with interesting shops/galleries (be sure to visit Ca'toga Galleria D'Arte on the corner of Lincoln and Cedar), mineral and mudbath spas that have drawn visitors there for over a century, an "old faithful geyser", a great little museum, and a nice choice of restaurants (Wappo Bar & Bistro and Brannan's Grill are quite good). Within an hr's time you can be at the south end of the Valley (Yountville and Napa) and there are a multitude of tasting rooms/wineries, great restaurants and interesting art galleries and shops, and parklands along the way. I always enjoy taking Hwy. 29 south to Napa and then returning to Calistoga via the Silverado Trail (which is less congested and developed, but also has numerous wineries along that route).

5. Re: Calistoga Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 20:18