We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mud bath

California
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mud bath

Am curious about getting a mud bath for myself and husband while visiting. I know nothing about them. Can anyone enlighten me and recommend a particular treatment or a particular location? I'm going to surprise my husband, a conservative Irishman! Thanks.

anaheim, ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mud bath

You can be in the nude or in a bathing suit. You step into the mud (its warm and very thick) and you sit in the mud clay until the attendant comes for you.

Then they literally hose you down.

We go to a place called Lincoln Spa (and Hotel I think) and they have a couples one, plus a massage package. My husband didn't care for mud but did like the hot springs bath (much too warm for me!)

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mud bath

I go to Calistoga every year with my sister to Indian Springs for mudbaths, and I love the place. The only downside (for you) is the men's and women's facilities are separate. Here's the routine:

Disrobe in the dressing room and get into the tub with the mud (it's actually volcanic ash) for 15 minutes. Don't forget to ask the attendant for a cold washcloth on your forehead - it's a nice refresher while you're in there. You can choose to leave your face and/or hands uncovered if you like.

Get out of tub, shower off (this takes a few minutes to get mud out of every crevice), then soak in a nice warm bath while sipping on cucumber water with orange slices for 15 minutes. Very relaxing.

If you like steam, spend a few minutes in the steam room.

Then, they take you to a little private room with a cot, wrap a blanket around you, put cucumbers on your eyes, and you rest for 10 minutes or so.

Then you're done! You won't believe how relaxing it is. We always stagger out of there to our little retro cottage, get dressed leisurely for dinner, and walk down the main street for dinner. It's only one night, but we feel like we've had a vacation.

Indian Springs is straight out of the 30s and 40s with a dozen paint jobs. I just love how authentic it is, and the cottages are very cute. Best deal on earth is to go Mon-Thur before March 30 and get two mudbaths free with your discounted room rate. Unbelievable winter special! I'm going in a few weeks.

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mud bath

We love the Calistoga Oasis Spa for mud baths and massage. They have a Spa Guide on their website that tells everything about mud treatments, mineral baths and massage. They answer any question anyone could possibly have.

Mud Baths are great! Very healthy and perfect before massage.

4. Re: mud bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 18:21