We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

Which Calistoga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

We have planned our honeymoon for next month starting out in Southen California, Malibu/Santa Barbara and ending in Northern California. We have booked four night at Solage but are wondering if there might be some better offerings. Maybe Farmhouse Inn?

We are looking for the following:

Romatic quiet spot

would love ot overlook a vineyard and have lush landscape to explore

excellent food

great service

We would like to experience wine country for its agriculture, layed back feel and amazing cuisine.

Any help is appreciated.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

We just got back from our tour of central California. Calistoga has a very small old western feel town. My husband like it more than me. The ride up was beautiful, we went up Rte 1 from SF and then cut across. Loved the journey. One night in Calistoga was plenty however they have the best Best Western around. I would definitely stay there. Headed down to St. Helena for lunch. Lovely town, quaint and charming with great shops. Kept going to Napa, were really disappointed in the city. Big, impersonal. But the drive down was gorgeous. We toured the winery right in Calisoga, up on a hillside accessable via gondola, sorry I can't remember the name, but if you ask around they'll know. It was breathtaking. Also stopped into Cleavage Creek Winery which is a ride but a beautiful one and worth the trip.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

Stone, did you go to downtown Napa?

Anyway -patroklosusa, both places you picked are upscale. Solage is within biking distance from town- they provide the bikes. There is a winery across the street, and next door.

The Farmhouse Inn is more in the country -not really walking distance to anything- driving distance to Healdsburg or Sebastopol. I can't remember if there are vineyards surrounding it, but they're not far away. I think it's a little more romantic than Solage.

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

There is a fantastic restaurant at Farmhouse Inn. The property is off the beaten path and very quiet. :)

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

You might enjoy exploring the opportunity to stay in one of the winery guest cottages if you want to be "on a vineyard". It takes some digging, but there are a few in Sonoma county that offer this to the public. I can't speak to Napa on this point.

The Vintner's Inn in Sonoma County has vineyard views and would be in keeping with several of the the things that are important to you including proximity to great food ( their restaurant, John Ash & Co is highly rated) and good access to wineries.

The Kenwood Inn and Spa is not near a vineyard, but it would have the lush landscape to explore and is really quite lovely in my opinion. Its located in the town of Kenwood in the Sonoma Valley. You would be near the Jack London park, a multitude of wineries in the valley and exceptional dining options in the town of Sonoma.

Another place you might want to look into is Honor Mansion in Healdsburg- it was recently rated one of the most romantic B&B's in CA. It is not near a vineyard but its very close to the wineries of Dry Creek and well situated for dining in great restaurants like Cyrus and Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg.

And by the way, the previous poster was refering to Sterling winery when talking about the tram up to the winery.

If you are interested in persuing any of the Sonoma county suggestions, you might want to post on the Sonoma County forum, by the way.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

footloose has a great idea-- a winery cottage would fit your "list" perfectly.

The only drawback would be you'd have to drive everywhere to get a bite to eat.

Lots of folks dream of coming to the wine country and staying in a cozy cottage or room overlooking the vineyards (very romantic!). But the dream gives way to reality soon enough-- when you need anything (food, water, a hair brush left at home) and need to drive for miles to get it. You wind up spending a lot more of your vacation driving to get to places, and less just kicking back and relaxing.

That's why so many of the towns are popular spots to stay. They still have that sleepy wine country vibe, but they're an easy walk to restaurants, shopping, wine tasting, and the local grocery store (for that hair brush ;).

So while we see lots of first timers looking to stay "on the vineyards", we see lots of return visitors staying "in town"-- where walking to places becomes part of the lazy, wine country feel.

We've never been to Farmhouse Inn, but have heard nothing but good things about it. It *is* off the beaten track (so you'll have to drive, drive, drive)-- but they do have a restaurant onsite, and we've heard it's very good.

Hoping this helps. :)

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

PS Stones-- it sounds like you tried to "do" the town of Napa without talking to a local. Napa is an incredible town (Oxbow Market, 22 wine tasting rooms, 4 dozen restaurants including Morimoto and Tyler Florence's new place, live music at the Opera House and Uptown, biking/kayaking/hiking, and so much more), but you need a local to show you where to find these treasures-- otherwise, you'll miss them all!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

Pat',

Another aspect of the winery guest houses that I did not mention, and I should have, is that services such as you expect in a hotel setting are not necessariy included. Think of it more like a vacation rental and not so much like an inn or B&B; after all, these are working wineries and so the cottages are not the focus.

If the great service and fine dining are a very important part of the experience you are looking for, then make sure you ask the right questions if you are going to seriously consider a winery guest house.

I'm not familiar with the Solage property to make a comparison for you, but any of the specific proerties that I mentioned earlier will certainly qualify on most if not all counts of your "important things" list.

Oh and the Farmhouse Inn is a beautiful property in the Green Valley/Russian River area of Sonoma county, but it is quite "far out" in the country and it may feel quite remote- which may suit you or may not,,,

Edited: 17 April 2011, 07:11
Livermore...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

I think you should consider Chateau de Vie Bed & Breakfast. It is in a vineyard in Calistoga, very quiet and romantic. I am going for my anniversary and plan to get a couples spa treatment and a hot air balloon ride over the vineyards. Happily it is reasonably priced.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

We absolutely love Solage, and have been lucky enough to have stayed there on a few occasions. I personally don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide not to change your plans. The property is both rurally situated next to vines and wineries at the North end of the valley, but also has a very relaxed vibe, and great service. The SolBar is also excellent for dining.

However, for our honeymoon we booked a suite at Auberge du Soleil, and wow! I can't say enough to praise that place. The room was enormous, and they really made us feel like royalty. The view from our balcony, overlooking the valley was amazing, and of course the restaurant on the property is a destination in it's own right. They have beautiful grounds, with art installations dotted throughout, which guests can explore. It's very tranquil, peaceful and romantic; and of course being centrally located in the Valley its really not that far from all the wineries, and other great restaurants in the area. OK you pay for it, but we'll never forget it, that's for sure - it was our honeymoon after all.

Another property we loved for it's quiet elegance, impeccable service, and being amongst nature (think more forest, than vineyard though) is the Calistoga Ranch. Our room had an outdoor tub overlooking a creek, and an outdoor shower. Again very exclusive as it aint cheap, but talk about peaceful and relaxing.

Wherever you choose to go, I know you'll love it. Have fun, and enjoy your honeymoon.

9. Re: Honeymoon Napa/Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:18