We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Ok, so we have now decided to spend the night (Mon 19th July) in Cambria rather than San Simeon, it will be Mum, Dad and DD [19]. We'll be coming down the coast from Monterey, and then on to Santa Barbara the next day.

Now I'm stuck on where to stay, I have been looking at Little Sur Inn, Moonstone Landing, Cambria Pines Lodge and Creekside Inn.

I want somewhere next to the beach, where I can see it out of our window, and walking distance to restaurants. Which would you suggest? Moonstone is the most money, and I think my #1 choice right now, and the others are a bit less. Or do you have any others to add to the mix, that fit what I would like?

Thank you :D

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Cambria Pines Lodge & Creekside Inn do NOT have ocean views, so if that's a must for you, you need to cross those two off your list.

Here's a list of all the hotels on Moonstone Beach Drive:

http://cambriachamber.org/motels-beach.php

You should keep in mind that July will be high season and prices will be at a premium for ocean facing lodging. I like Little Sur Inn because it is a two story hotel and the second story rooms have decks you can sit out on to enjoy the views. I also like the Best Western Fireside Inn's ocean facing rooms, which are quite large and very comfortable. If you want a more affordable ocean view room, look at Castle Inn by the Sea. It's basic hotel like lodging with all the rooms looking out toward the ocean, but this hotel has better rates compared to its neighboring hotels.inns.

BTW- There are only two restaurants on Moonstone Beach Drive: Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill and the Sea Chest. The Sea Chest does NOT accept credit cards.

Edited: 28 March 2010, 21:22
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Good to know, so where's the main drag of restaurants and shops in Cambria then?

I was only wanting to spend $120-$150 for the night, but I don't think that's realisitic for the season or area, so I'm looking at around $200 and less including tax.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

The main drag where most of the restaurants are is, well, on Main Street.

You might take a look at San Simeon Pines Lodge on Moonstone Beach Drive. Not sure any ocean view rooms are available here, but the property is across the street from Leffingwell Landing Park and very close to the ocean, so you should be able to hear the waves at night. This property and Castle Inn by the Sea are probably the most affordable options near the shore.

In town is Creekside Inn or the Bluebird Hotel. Both properties are next to the creek that flows through town. Cambria is a small place and the beach is just moments away if you decide to stay in town. Cambria Pines Lodge is located in a residential forested area above Cambria's East Village. It's a very pretty property with an on-site restaurant and they have cabins and suites that might suit your needs.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Where's is best to stay in Cambria? By the beach or in the town?

Right now, I'm between Little Sur Inn and Moonstone Landing. But I can't decide which?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Staying by the beach in Cambria is better than staying in town, IMO. Nice views, sounds of the waves, a nice wooden boardwalk across from the hotels/inns for sunset or morning walks along the shore. Town is moments away. I like Little Sur Inn because the upper floors have decks, while Moonstone Landing does not.

6. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 06:17