We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captains Cove??

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Captains Cove??

Still haven't decided on lodging in cambria for one night. I know, it's only one night and this shouldnt be rocket science. I tend to over analyze everything while I peruse all options.

There are no reviews for Captains Cove inn here on TA but wondering if anyone is familiar with them and their reputation?

I am trying to keep this one overnight under $160 and save my splurge budget for Carmel. I missed the boat on a lot of places that would be in that price range at Moonstone Beach, as the rates have jumped in the last 2 months when I first started looking.

The following have made my short list

Cambria Pines Lodge (inland)

Cambria Landing

Captain's Cove Inn

BW Cavalier (best price on the water but no breakfast included)

any thoughts?

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captains Cove??

Have you considered The El Colibri? They were offering non-refundable rates for $144/night. We recently toured this property, it's very contemporary and nice and the rooms are beautiful. If you do want to be right across from Moonstone Beach, check out The Best Western Fireside Inn. They have a pool, jacuzzi and complimentary breakfast. Enjoy Cambria! :)

Edited: 11 November 2010, 15:52
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captains Cove??

I found one review for Captain's Cove on yelp:

www.yelp.com/biz/captains-cove-inn-cambria

You might take a look at Castle Inn, which also is located on Moonstone Beach Drive. Just basic lodging, but a great view property.

Of the others on your list: the Cavalier is in San Simeon, not Cambria, although it's a mere 5 minute drive into Cambria.

Cambria Pines Lodge is a nice property located in a pine forest on a hill above the main part of town with a restaurant/lounge on site. Breakfast is included with a stay there, which would be more substantial than the continental variety you'll get at a Moonstone property.

Cambria Landing gets mixed reviews, but mostly due to the property needing some "sprucing up". That would not be a deal breaker for me, since you have the beautiful Pacific Ocean across the street.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 18:12
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captains Cove??

We just got a great rate at Moonstone Landing and booked it..I really wanted to stay on the ocean, although Cambria Pines was a close contender.

I hope Moonstone Landing will be good for one night...the reviews here are favorable for the most part.

Thanks for your suggestions and onward to Carmel for the next 3 nights...

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captains Cove??

Moonstone Landing is a very good choice. The decor is contemporary and modern. I think you'll be quite happy with it. This inn is also one of a few that sits almost at water's edge, due to the zig zag nature of the shoreline.

I hope you enjoy your visit to lovely Cambria

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captains Cove??

Thank you, Kibblesmom. I am glad to hear that!

6. Re: Captains Cove??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 06:21