We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Myself, husband and 3 children - daughter aged 21, two sons 16 and 9 years old visited Cambria in early July, as part of a 3 week USA adventure.

We hired a Chevrolet Tahoe from Hertz in Anaheim, and after thoroughly enjoying our 3 day hopper set off on July 5th to drive to Cambria, where we would be spending the night.

It took a little while to become accustomed to driving on the other side of the road and the turns, in particular, were challenging, to say the least. It's one thing to be driving along a highway, behind other cars, but if you have to make a turn, you have to be extremely careful to do it correctly. A major problem we had with Hertz is that we had requested a GPS navigation system in the car - guess what? No GPS!!!! When we expressed our displeasure - I mean, we're from Australia, we're already behind the 8 ball trying to drive on the other side of the road, now we're not going to know where we're driving to???, we were told our options were : smaller car with a GPS (and we would have had to wait, because the car was at another location) or the Tahoe minus a GPS, which was ready to go.

So we took the Tahoe and off we went. We purchased a map of LA which ran out very quickly. Luckily I had printed off a few Google map instructions before we left which we couldn't have done without. It was almost as if I knew in advance we wouldn't get a GPS.

Anyway, we had no incidents with driving so it was all good!!!

Driving ourselves meant we could visit places we wouldn't necessarily be able to see if we were flying everywhere.

The original plan was to stop at the Madonna Inn at San Luis Obipisbo for lunch.

When we started planning our trip, I thought we might stay here, but some very good advice from experts on TA such as Kibblesmom, persuaded me to choose Cambria as an alternative. I'm so glad we did this, and equally glad that we split the journey up to San Francisco up into 2 nights accomodation along the way. That way, we got to see a lot more.

Anyway, after getting the car, checking out of the HoJo Anaheim and setting off out of LA, we soon realised we would not be able to reach the Madonna Inn in time for lunch. Instead, we stopped off at Santa Barbara instead, and we were very happy we did.

We had some pizza at Uncle Rocco's New York Pizza Bar - it was one of the first places we came across after exiting the highway.

We were very pleased with our family sized pizza, it was very tasty and reasonably priced.

Eventually we did make it to the Madonna Inn, as soon as we entered I thought to myself - I am SO GLAD we decided not to stay there!

We went into the cafe, thinking we'd get some cake for afternoon tea. The lady providing service at the counter acted like she was doing us a huge favour. We then went into the restaurant and took a photo of our family with the wonderfully quirky decor in the background. The young man at the desk looked at us as if we were some sort of bugs that had just crawled in. We continued up the stairs to the shops. Inside there was a group of 4 young ladies standing in a group talking and again, staring at us rudely. I'm not sure if they were shop assistants or customers but they were crowding around the counter. An older lady provided some customer assistance but the young ladies didn't budge. I had to ask one politely to "excuse me" because I needed to get closer to the counter in order to pay for the lovely long sleeved top I purchased.

Needless to say, we couldn't wait to get on our way.

Our original plan had also included a stop at Morro Rock, but at this stage we were satisfied at the view from the highway and we felt we needed to get to Cambria so we'd have some time there.

We arrived at the Cambria Pines Lodge around 6 pm. We were immediately impressed by the Lodge and the meticulously cared for gardens. After checking into our superior cabins we explored the gardens and took some lovely photos. My younger son took a real shine to the hotel's cat Smoky. I think he was missing our own cat from home.

We then drove down to the Fiscalini Ranch and took a long walk along the ridge. What a beautiful place!

Along the way we met a nice local lady, had a chat and she suggested the Main Street Grill for dinner. It was almost 8 pm by this stage and she urged us to hurry along as the place might be closed by the time we arrived there.

We arrived just in time to have dinner before closing time. Most of us ordered burgers and were really impressed with them.

After a quick dinner we drove down to Moonstone beach and had a walk along the boardwalk there - very nice but by this stage it was getting dark so we decided to return to the Lodge.

After a restful night we had breakfast at the Lodge - by our estimation, the best (hotel) breakfast we had while in the US. In the lobby we purchased a little replica of Smoky the cat which has not left my son's side. Smoky has featured in all our photos from then on!

We had a tour booked at Hearst Castle for 9 am, so we bid Cambria a fond farewell and set off for the castle. We felt we'd seen a short glimpse of what Cambria has to offer and we really liked it. My daughter says she will return someday!

We really enjoyed the tour of the Castle, we went on a "grand Rooms Tour" and our guide, Jill did a very good job. I liked the fact that we were allowed to walk around the castle as long as we liked, however we wanted to still see so many things that day before we reached Monterey, our next destination so we had to leave fairly quickly.

To be continued on the Monterey forum....

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Fantastic again! We are still in two minds about driving this report might help change my husabands mind...(he has driven a bit in Texas and found it very stressful.)

Level Contributor
34,991 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Sounds like you had a great time! Cambria Pines Lodge is a very nice property, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay there! :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Glad you had a nice visit! Cambria is one of our favorite towns!

We'll be up there next week. We also like walking in Fiscalini and along the boardwalk at Moonstone Beach. Last year we also enjoyed exploring the old cemetery.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Thanks so much for posting. Isn't Cambria wonderful? I'm looking forward to my next visit coming up this December.

It's a shame about the Madonna Inn, especially considering that its late founder did so many things to get San Luis Obispo on the map and the family is still involved in local charities. In all the times I've visited SLO, I've never set foot in the Madonna, mostly because the place looks stuck in 1976 (and not in a cool retro way) and the menu is overpriced relative to the product.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 23:31
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Glad you enjoyed your visit, herren. Thanks for letting us know how everything turned out. As for the Madonna Inn, well, there's no excuse for that kind of behavior. I, too, am glad you opted to stay somewhere else. Serves them right.

canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

Thanks for all your comments.

I too, think it's a shame about the Madonna Inn, we'd seen a story about it on a travel program here in Australia and it looked so interesting and attractive. Not that it wasn't attractive, it was more the atmosphere which didn't make you think "wow, I'd really like to stay here!"

Sometimes places just aren't the same in real life.

Forgot to mention, too, that people were lining up to take a look at the men's waterfall urinal. Not just men, ladies too!!.

Just put me off even more...

However, yes, we loved Cambria, and Cambria Pines Lodge, and would like to return there one day!

And Carly, if you are keen to see more of America during your trip, I highly recommend driving. It's challenging but definitely worth it.

7. Re: Trip Report July 5th Cambria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:16