We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambria vs. Morro Bay

Va Beach
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cambria vs. Morro Bay

I have been Trying to decide between the two.. Reading up on both forums.. Traveling with husband and 11 month old. Driving down from San Francisco one night Santa Cruz three nights in Big Sur four nights in Carmel Have three more nights and I'm looking for For somewhere with good food family-friendly... Just a kickback on our last three days.. Wouldn't mind checking out some wineries either. It sounds like both places are really great, But any recommendations on a homebase would be helpful! And restaurants!

Thank you in advance

Veronica

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

Cambria is closer to the wineries, but it's really more of a couples kind of town. Morro Bay, on the other hand, has more to offer families. But, then, so do Avila Beach and Pismo Beach a bit further down the coast. There's also wine country a few miles east of Pismo Beach that is more "kick back" than the Paso Robles wine country.

Morro Bay dining: Taco Temple, Frankie and Lola's (breakfast), Hofbrau, Window on the Water, Hoppe's Garden Bistro (neighboring Cayucos)

Pismo/Avila Beach dining: Splash Cafe (Famous for clam chowder), Ventana Grill, Mo's BBQ, Del's Pizzeria, Custom House, Fat Cats

Edited: 07 October 2013, 02:06
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

I'd go to Pismo or Avila as well. All are great towns, but fir what I think you are looking for, these would be a good fit.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
497 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

Agree that Cambria is more of a "couples" kind of place. I would suggest you compare Morro Bay to Avila or Pismo for your choices. Personally, with an 11 month old, I think Morro Bay would be a better choice. Avila can be expensive, Pismo can be more of a "spring break" atmosphere. Morro Bay is quiet and is a working fishing town, so you can walk along the harbor/Embarcadero and see sea lions, otters and plenty of sea birds. There are boat excursions and 3 wheel bike rentals, a wide, long beach north of the rock that goes out quite a ways and you're only knee high (assuming no storms) which would be fun holding a little one. Shopping on the Embarcadero, a movie theater, and a 20 minute drive to San Luis Obispo, which also has a lot to offer but no beach.

Dining in Morro Bay - for breakfast or lunch, a local's coffee shop - Carla's Kitchen (on Beach Street off Main) or the French Cafe on the Embarcadero just north of Beach Street.

For lunch or dinner, just across from the power plant stacks is Tognazzini's "Dockside" and in the back, on the water, their Fish Market, Dockside Two, which is dog friendly and usually has a local musician set up. Salads, BBQ'd oysters (local), fish and chips, fish tacos, etc. Dockside II is usually lunch only. Windows on the Water is pricey. If you want something different, there is a Thai restaurant at the far south end of the Embarcadero that is very good. Hofbrau also has great sandwiches and fish/chips.

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

We like spending time in Pismo and Shell Beach. In Shell Beach is a very nice famly-friendly resort called The Cliffs Resort. In Pismo, The Seacrest Oceanfront Resort is a very good hotel with oceanviews, outdoor firepits, pool and jacuzzis.

Some great places to eat in this area: Splashes Cafe, Mirasol @ The Cliffs, Lido @ Dolphin Bay Resort, The Cracked Crab and Giusieppe's for Italian food.

www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for research. Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

5. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 October 2013, 15:05
Va Beach
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

Thanks.,,we have decided to def stay in Morro very close to the Embardaco!! Very excited!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

I like Morro Bay, but I do think that Destination oversells the town in his or her posts. I would dial back your expectaions a bit. It is a nice town, to be sure, but I don't want you to go in thinking that it is more than it is and end up disappointed.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

Agree with n_m ...my mom and I found ourselves in Morro Bay one November. OK for one night but I would NEVER recommend it for three nights. There are much better options on the Central Coast.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
388 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

I grew up in Los Osos/Morro Bay and sorry, but I would not consider Morro Bay a traveler's paradise. I'd be bored out of my mind after one day, especially if you are on the younger side. I'd definitely recommend staying in Cambria over Morro Bay or even San Luis Obispo, Avila or Pismo Beach. Or maybe you could stay in Morro Bay one night and then move on to another place. 3 nights is way too much!

Personally, I think Destination Morro Bay should not be able to post on these forums. It seems like spam to me to be promoting a specific destination on a public forum when you have a vested interest in it. I don't know why his/or her posts aren't deleted by the moderators for being inappropriate.

Va Beach
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambria vs. Morro Bay

So what would be better options on the central coast? We are in our 30's traveling with an 11month old. People feel Cambria is not exactly child friendly ..we fly out of SF on the 13th...we have been to Santa Barbara and are staying in big sur, and Carmel... Really don't want to spend our last 3 days moving too much-will be hard with a little one...is there anywhere north of San Francisco? How are these other beach towns? What is more there to do than at Morro?

November won't exactly be lying on the beach weather...we aren't interested in late nights or bars... Good restaurants are a must and biking, or on the water a activities would be great too.

I thought Morro was a good base to explore some of the wineries ..not interested in staying inland...

Thx do much for the help didn't realize Morro Bay was so hit or miss...very mixed reviews about that town, one forum I read a lady and her husband packed up and moved there after visiting !!