We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Gloom question.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
June Gloom question.

We are spending the night in Cambria after visiting Hearst Castle. We will be getting up early the next morning to begin our PCH tour, stopping in Carmel for lunch and walking around...then heading to Santa Cruz where we will stay for 3 nights.

My husband says that he thinks it might be too foggy in the mornings to do the PCH tour and we would have to wait. Traditionally, will this be true the middle of June? And if so, how long will it take for the fog to burn off so we can start the drive and see the gorgeous scenery?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,897 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Gloom question.

June gloom and fog are 2 different things. June gloom is just cloudy skies at the coast but not fog which obscures your view. It just won't be sunny. I would doubt that anyone can give you a time schedule as our weather this year has been totally abnormal and unpredictable!

We have been up in that area at various times and if there's fog it is usually very early in the AM (before 9AM) I wouldn't worry about it now because you'll really just have to wait and see the conditions when you are there.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Gloom question.

Agree with Riff. Every day is different on the coast. The fog tends to be worst in the early am and burns off by mid morning, but some days wake up to a nice sunny day. Sometimes the fog lifts, but not enough for the sun to peak through. As Riff pointed out, it won't obscure the view, but it can affect the "pop" of it.

Honestly, though, I find the drive up through Big Sur to at its best when there's an element of fog present. Love watching wispy fingers of fog rising up and over the Santa Lucia mountains. It makes for an ethereal experience while wending your way up the coast.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Gloom question.

Ok, thanks. I was just hoping if there was fog, it would be gone at least mid-morning so we can get started. although I agree...the sun on the ocean would add a beautiful layer to the experience.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Gloom question.

"....the sun on the ocean would add a beautiful layer to the experience."...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This would be especially true at McWay Falls. When the sun is shining, the contrast between the ocean water in the cove by the falls and the open sea is breathtakingly beautiful.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,029 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Gloom question.

The fog can add a layer to the experience as well. Often you get this wispy fog that sort of travels in and around the mountains, so you come around a turn to find a bunch of fog hanging inching its way around the hills. Other times you will be in fog and come around a turn to find brilliant sunshine. Then a mile later, you go back into the fog. Because if the geography, conditions can exist in one area that results in fog, but 200 yards away there isn't any fog at all.

6. Re: June Gloom question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:17