We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

We visit Pebble Beach From the UK each year for the AT & T and normally fly out of San Francisco.This year we decided to have a change and fly from LA so we can take in another tour at Hearst Castle..........we last visited there a few years ago.

We will be leaving Monterey Tuesday and want to stay as close to the castle as possible.........presumably Cambria????any recommendations please.

After visiting the castle we need to make our way to LA ...we fly out Friday.We have never been to Solvang......would that be a good place to visit?if so where to stay and wht to see please.

Or alternative ideas would be good we do not want to have too long a drive on friday to the airport so may stay at an airport hotel thursday.

All ideas appreciated

thanks

Frazier Park...
Level Contributor
451 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

Hi, Roscoe,

What time of year is the AT&T? I'm not a golfer...If it is soon, on the drive down, a few miles before the castle, be sure to pull over at Piedras Blancas to see the elephant seals.

As far as accomodations, the closest is San Simeon. I would recommend staying on the beach side of the highway if you stay there (it's a little scary to cross that hwy. as a pedestrian). I'm sure others will be able to recommend specific hotels.

Cambria is a little further south, but also quite nice. We usually stay inland at the Cambria Pines Lodge, but there are a lot of lovely little hotels on Moonstone Beach. Just look at the reviews of the San Simeon & Cambria hotels, look at their web sites, then decide where you want to stay. There is great shopping in Cambria, also.

If you have time, while in San Simeon/Cambria, I highly recommend going wine tasting in the Paso Robles are (there are several tour companies who can pick you up from your hotel and drive you). The entire central coast area is just absolutely lovely.

Solvang is okay...nice shops, close to the wine areas made famous by the movie "Sideways." There is an ostrich & emu farm on the main highway into Solvang.

Have a wonderful trip!!

Level Contributor
35,915 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

Check out the Best Western Cavalier Resort in San Simeon, it is located right on the beach. We usually stay in Cambria, but did meander around the property a bit last time we were in the area and it is very nice. I have some photos of the property posted on this site.

The elephant seals are great fun to view, I also have several photos of the seals posted here. Enjoy your trip! :)

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

Thanks for the replies,we will be leaving Pebble Beach feb 13th which may be a hassle for accomodation with it being Valentines day.

will we see Elephant Seals at that time of the year?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

familymatters.tv/level_4/…solvangca.htm

The website above will tell you what you want to know about Solvang.

You should go... it's a lovely town. I've never stayed in any hotels there, but the Wine Country Inn with it's adorable cottages would top my list of places to stay.

Don't miss Nojoqui Falls, unless it's rained recently.The trail would be too muddy. A beautiful short hike to a wonderful waterfall, if dry enough.

Paula's Pancake House is recommended for breakfast. Lunch, dinner... check out several restaurant menus and then decide, but DO NOT eat at Pea Soup Andersen's.... highly overrated!

The area is also well known for it's wine and you'll find several nearby wineries to enjoy... if you like wine tasting. Personally... when I'm visiting Solvang, ( I live within an hour ) I enjoy a good European beer. (Carlsburg on tap).

California
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

If you're visiting Cambria, stay on Moonstone Beach!

The Cavalier in San Simeon is nice...right on the beach. However, the town in the area is rather shabby.

If you're staying in Cambria, you just can't beat the charm and beauty of Moonstone Beach. There are lots of little hotels and inns to choose from.

Don't worry...the elephant seals are there all year round.

If you have the time, a day of wine tasting in Paso Robles is very enjoyable!

Solvang is fun...a bit touristy, but worth a visit.

Have a great time!

Level Contributor
35,915 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

If you do decide to stay in Cambria, the Pelican Cove Inn is very nice. They recently merged the Pelican Suites and the Cypress Cove Inn to form one place. Very nice rooms, a jacuzzi in the back, buffet breakfast, desserts set out in the evening and also a nice wine and cheese reception upon arrival in the afternoon.

We have also enjoyed stays at the Fireside Inn and the Blue Whale Inn. Sow's Ear and the Black Cat Bistro are nice choices for dinner in Cambria. Have fun! :)

7. Re: Travelling to LA from Pebble Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 06:25