We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

J S
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Hi,

I posted a few months back asking advice for a 1 week itinerary. Now that we're set I need some additional advice. We are planning 5 nights in Tamarindo Diria and 2 nights at Rincon Hacienda Guachipelin. The reviews for Diria don't sound very good so I'm considering switching to Capitan but it is much more expensive. Our plans are to do a few tours but also hang out at the beach.

Questions:

1. Feedback on Diria and if switching to Capitan makes sense?

2. Rather than staying at Hacienda for 2 nights, should we just stay in Tamarindo and do a day trip or 2 to a national park to experience inland?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Dear JS.

Diria is a good place...in a way and from Tamarindo area...they can be big...and as you know sometimes ahrd to please everybody all the time...maybe you can go and if you do not like it at all...ask for a refund and move somewhere else...even you can try to upgrade your room at Diria...the location they offer is incredible nice...

Of course Capitan Suizo is a great location...

I really like the idea of Guachipelin...nice to relax or do some great soft adventure tours!

Guachiplein is only 1hour and 45 minutes from Tamarindo!

roaddvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

I prefer Suizo and think it's worth the extra money. The Diria is just too busy for me, too many kids at the 'beach' pool, loud and busy bar....Suizo is just more intimate. However, if you don't have to be 'on' the beach, the Diria has very nice condos just across the street and a much more relaxed and bigger pool. I will say the Diria location is better for walking to shopping and other restaurants. Hope this helps you decide.

J S
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Thank you both for the great advice. I already have Diria booked so I will keep the reservation and enjoy the ocean view room. I'll stop reading reviews.

Questions:

- Does it make sense to rent a car for our stay in Tamarindo? We plan on doing some tours and it looks like there are many locations within walking distance from Diria.

- If we decide to use private transportation from LIR to Tam can we find and pay at the airport instead of prepaying now? I am not comfortable faxing over my credit card number as some tour companies want.

- Do you recommend any stops on our drive from Tamarindo to Rincon? Either for sightseeing or to eat.

- The same from Rincon to LIR airport on our last day?

Muchisimas gracias por sus respuestas!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Dear JS

Nice set of questions!

Let me try to answer some of them!

YOUR Questions: then MY Answers!

- Does it make sense to rent a car for our stay in Tamarindo? We plan on doing some tours and it looks like there are many locations within walking distance from Diria.

If you idea is moslty relax...my advice NO you do not need a car seating at the hotel parking lot...maybe one day you can rent a car and do the Palo Verde Tour...you can easily save about 40% per person if you drive to tour location...also with the Rincon de la Vieja tour!

- If we decide to use private transportation from LIR to Tam can we find and pay at the airport instead of prepaying now? I am not comfortable faxing over my credit card number as some tour companies want.

PLEASE do not send any prepayment ...it is a small amount ...if they can not charge you at arrival ...find somebody else...always dealt with people you can ID even here at the forum...some funny people around...ask for ICT certificaitons that is our Secretary of Tourism...NO ICT ...no good news find sombody else!

- Do you recommend any stops on our drive from Tamarindo to Rincon? Either for sightseeing or to eat...

Really is not much to see and a short ride about 1.5 hours.....if you like a great steak...El Bramadero Restaurant in Liberia...ask for The Bramadero steak...SOOOOO good...then a coconut flan for desert!

Con mucho gusto...regresen PRONTO!!

roadadvisor

J S
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Gracias por la informacion. I have a few more questions:

- Is it ok to fly in to LIR and hire transportation to Tam without prebooking?

- Is it recommended to take cash to pay for transportation and tours or do the companies take credit cards there?

- Should I exchange to local currency?

Muchas gracias y saludos desde San Diego.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Yes, when you arrive to Liberia you can just take a taxi, they are red with yellow triangles on the doors. For taxi you would need cash, for tours most companies take credit cards. You can just exchange a small amount of $ into colones but most places will take US $

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
986 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

I'm heading to Tamarindo at the same time. Thanks to advice on this board, I have prebooked (but not paid for) Tamarindo Shuttle from the airport.

If you need to make any international bookings, the easiest thing is to buy a Google Voice or Skype credit. Then make the call from your computer. It's only a few cents per minute.

Also many Costa Rican travel agents have toll free numbers for calls from the US and Canada. Whatever you do, don't email credit card numbers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
945 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Suizo is a way better hotel, but Diria is a really good location. But the great thing about the Diria is the people and atmosphere. The strange thing is that Diria isn't a big hotel, but somehow never feels very friendly/familiar. So plastic-y feeling. And, we've been eating/drinking at both regularly for 12 years and still don't know anyone at the Diria (other than the pharmacy lady at the store outside!), whereas we know all the employees at Capitan. Maybe it is me.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Great idea...do not prepay any body at least in transportation is not a common practice...just pay once you are here!

roadadvisor

J S
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guanacaste Early Dec Advice

Tamarindo Shuttle appears to have really good prices from LIR to Tamarindo. Is there a downside to using them over some other transportation?

Gracias