We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincon de la Vieja closing?

chicago
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rincon de la Vieja closing?

I just read this and am hoping some locals can give more info to tourists planning an upcoming visit.

http://www.amcostarica.com/112812.htm#31

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

I saw that article. AM Costa Rica has some inaccurate articles sometimes so I hope this is not true. I would also like to hear from folks in the area who might have better information. Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
733 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

I was wondering the same thing. I read La Nacion daily and haven't seen anything about it there yet.

But I did just find this:

www.adn.fm/Default.aspx…

Sounds to me that the part closed is the somewhat less popular Santa Maria entrance, and not the Las Pailas/Hacienda Guachipelin/Crater/Blue Lake entrance...

again, seems like a developing story, as the above line is a report from today...

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

Apparently there was a part where people were robbed on a regular basis, from what I understand, that small part is closed. Let's hope someone with more details will come up.

England
Level Contributor
585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

Is the Rinconcito lodge close to Santa Maria entrance? I am getting worried to stay there now?

Anyone knows the security in Rinconcito lodge? It seems that it is safe to join a group rather than getting around on our own?

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

an update

santa maria entrance is temporarily closed, not much for the robber , but for the shortage of personnel ,

las pailas is open at regular times, tuesday through sunday

the robbery was not a serious problem, but it got out of context, since the real problem a shortage of workers in the park

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
976 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

Thought this would be worth sharing to you all. I am headed there in March and conducting my research as well http://www.amcostarica.com/112812.htm

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

I have stayed at Rinconcito and loved it. You won't have any "safety" issues there. It's a great place.

Maybe you have already visited.....

I agree with Jose B. It's really about a shortage of workers.

When I was at Santa Maria last year, I went with a guide on a horseback trip from Rinconcito Lodge to the Santa Maria sector and we hiked to the hot springs. As we sat (me with my feet in the hot water) chatting about this and that, a Park worker arrived by horseback. Upon further conversation, the guide told me that there were usually only two workers on duty at any one time. Really not enough for an area of that size.

So I imagine they are trying to solve this problem - it's just not something you can throw money at.... it will probably take some time. (Training, etc)

Edited: 01 January 2013, 17:53
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

Indiana_Jonesse don't worry about safety there , it is generally safe. HattieCostaRica went to that section without problems. Ask around , pura vida !!!

9. Re: Rincon de la Vieja closing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Rincon de La Vieja