We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

new jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

I am traveling to Costa Rica at the end of April for 10 days and am wondering how many days I need to see the main attractions in Rincon. We will be arriving at the Hacienda Guachipelin hotel around 2:00pm on a Friday. Do we have time to do any adventure tours that day? How many nights should we book in that area to see all there is to see before we head to our next location?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

If you arrive around 2 pm, you will have about 3.5 hours before sunset. This will give you enough time to do some activities. Take a look at the Guachipelin website and you can see what's available. www.guachipelin.com

You could spend several nights there with all the "adventures" available in that area and the different sections of the National Park to exploit, but with only 10 days, probably two nights is enough.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

Agree with Hattie , you can visit the area again on a second trip if you enjoyed your first visit.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
733 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

Hacienda Guachipelin has a very good and packed 1-day Adventure Pass. And you could easily spend another day or so with their activities.

The hike to the summit is a full-day affair.

The hike to Blue Lake Cangrejo Falls, which I love, is around 2 hours each way, with a stop for picnic lunch and a swim, that's pretty much a full day.

The hike to Las Pailas fumeroles and mud pots is pretty short.

There are hot springs to soak in if you do all the above, or even if you don't...

new jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

Thanks for the info! From Rincon we are driving down to Arenal. I can't find travel times anywhere! We will be leaving Guachipelin on Sunday morning......is Rio Celeste on the way to Arenal? We wanted to stop and hike that before arriving at our cabin in Arenal. Any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated =)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

Rio Celeste is definitely not on the way to Arenal. It is quite out of the way, actually.

For distances and travel times - check this: www.yourtravelmap.com You can look for Liberia to La Fortuna - Guachipelin is about 30 minutes from Liberia.

To hike to the Rio Celeste, you would be better off to make it an overnight on your way to Arenal or just plan a day trip from Arenal to do the hike.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

We spent 4 nights at Hacienda Guachipelin.

We arrived around the same time you did and just explored the immediate area (there are forest trails on the hacienda property).

spent 2 days in the national park: one (longer) walk to the Cangreja waterfall where you can swim. Lots of wildlife sightings along the way. Another shorter day on the loop trail to see the volcanic vents, etc. and then to the Rio Negro hot springs on the hacienda grounds (located between the park and the hotel).

The trail to the crater has been closed for some time due to increased volcanic activity.

On a 3rd day we did the tubing adventure (including horseback ride out to Victoria waterfall which is on the hacienda property) which was really great.

7. Re: How many days do I need in Rincon de la Vieja?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:19