We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

I think we would like to spend a night or 2 in the Rincon de la Vieja area before heading to Playas del Coco. We want to stay somewhere interesting/ unusual. Hacienda Guachipelin is booked on our dates, though.

Is La Anita Rainforest Ranch a good 2nd choice? Or what would you recommend?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

If being near the entrance to Rincon de la Vieja National Park is important to you, then there are several choices. Take a look here for lodging near Guachipelin and near the entrance to the National Park: www.rincondelavieja.net

La Anita Rainforest Ranch is a good choice - but pretty remote and not close to the main entrance to the National Park.

If you look on a map, find Liberia. Then follow Rt 1 north from Liberia. About an inch north of Liberia, you will see a road that goes off to the right to the town of Curubande. This is the road that goes to the entrance of the National Park and this is where Guachipelin is located.

For La Anita, you will go south on Rt 1 from Liberia until you see the town of Bagaces. Go north from here on Rt 164 to Aguas Claras, then left towards Colonia Blanca. It's near there. So you can see they are on different sides of the Park. La Anita is close to the Santa Maria sector of Rincon de la Vieja National Park. It would be great if you are looking for something remote and rural with access to that part of the Park - which is amazing, by the way.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Hi Hattie,

If we could only see one section of the park, is the Santa Maria section worth it? Or would you recommend the section closer to the entrance?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Hmmm.... that's a hard question. Both areas are pretty amazing. The main entrance - Las Pailas - has a few more things to see -- but not much. Santa Maria also has hot springs, mud pots, waterfall, etc. There will be much fewer people at Santa Maria.

The real question is -- how far are you willing to travel and where would you be going afterwards? La Anita is about 90 minutes from Liberia and the ones close to the Park entrance are about 30 minutes from Liberia.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

We would be arriving from Liberia and then heading to Playas del Coco afterwards... so 90 minutes from Liveria is reasonable. Is there a big difference in the transit time to Cocos from Santa Maria vs. Las Pailas?

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

I personally like Borinquen Resort. Very large working farm that is extremely nice and quiet place. Plenty of activities on property to keep you occupied but very removed from everything else. Not easy to venture of property for meals, shops or night time entertainment.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
877 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Judging from your other posts, it appears that you have normally been staying more or less at all inclusives, and this may be your first trip to Costa RIca. If that is the case, be advised that when they say green loding, such as Hacienda Guachipelin, this means virtually no creature comforts. If this is what you want, great, but if not you may want to consider staying on the coast at one of the nicer lodgings, and just do day trips. You can experience all that the region has to offer and still have comfortable lodging. Just thought that I would give you another option.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

From Santa Maria to Playas del Coco is about an hour and 45 minutes to two hours. From the Pailas sector, about an hour.

I strongly disagree with newjade about "creature comforts" as Hacienda Guachipelin and La Anita as well as the other lodges on the road to the Las Pailas sector all are very comfortable. Each of these places has a website so you can judge for yourself.

Borinquen is an upscale "resort" type place and is also not close to the entrance to the National Park.

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Although the original poster said nothing about a desire to be close to the park entrance I am pretty sure Borinquen Resort is within 10 miles of the entrance and I would be hard pressed to find a nicer "resort" in the Rincon de La Vieja area.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 00:12
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Well, yes, Marlindelrey - at $186 to $323 a night, I would hope so!

In fact, their website states that it's 47 km from the airport so probably 35 km from Liberia.

While Borinquen is adjacent to the National Park, it is not close to the entrance at Las Pailas and you would need to travel back down the road from Borinquen to Rt 1, south, and then take the road through Curubande to the entrance. Of course, most lodging that is adjacent to the National Park has horseback rides into the Park.

It really just depends on what they are looking for.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second choice to Hacienda Guachipelin?

Thanks for all the advice.

NewJade, I actually don't have much experience with all-inclusives and don't plan to add to it :) It's definitely not my preferred means of travel. But you are correct that this will be my first trip to Costa Rica.

Although we're still flexible (there just seems to be so much to do that we are coming up with new plans almost daily), I think we would prefer to be near the Las Pailas entrance. The price Hattie mentions for Borinquen is way out of our range, though.

If we decide on the Santa Maria section, we will do La Anita. But I will look more into the others near the Las Pailas entrance from Hattie's link - Casa Rural Aroma & Buena Vista Lodge are the ones catching my eye, if anyone has any input...

Get answers to your questions about Rincon de La Vieja