We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice/ tips for traveling to this area with young kids

Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice/ tips for traveling to this area with young kids

We are thinking of traveling to the Rincon de La Vieja area and staying for two days before heading to Samara. We like how Blue River Resort looks and would like to stay there.

Any tips on traveling to this area with young children?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice/ tips for traveling to this area with young kids

Blue River is a nice place, but isolated. If you are planning on spending most or all of your time there, then it will be fine. If you are planning on doing a lot of day trips or excursions, maybe not the best choice. It's 1.5 hours from Liberia and around an hour of travel on mostly gravel roads to get there.

You could consider staying at one of the lodges that are on the road to Rincon de la Vieja, which is about 15 minutes from Rt 1. Much easier to get to the National Park, many things to do in the area - including the One Day Pass at Guachipelin, and easier to get to other places for day trips or excursions. A great trip for the family would be El Viejo Wetlands www.elviejowetlands.com Here, you can take a boat trip through Palo Verde National Park, see their mill that makes cane into sugar, among other interesting things to do.

You can also visit the Llanos del Cortes waterfall which is huge and beautiful and has a small swimming area and you can often see monkeys in the trees overhead.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 12:46
Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice/ tips for traveling to this area with young kids

Thanks.

We liked the idea of it being remote. Do you know if there is a lot to do on their property.

We stayed at a remote place in Monteverde and hiked on their trails. We loved it so much! It wasn't a fancy place but the property was so beautiful and we felt so close to nature there. We were hoping for a similar experience.

It seems like most of the adventure tours we will not be able to do and we only want to dedicate 2 days so we are figuring that we were not going to plan on doing much. We are hoping that the hotel is nice so we can hang around there for a day and then perhaps go and hike around the volcano. Then head down to Samara. I really wanted to do Arenal and the beach but we don't have enough time this year. We visited Arenal the 1st time we came to CR and loved it. So I was excited to find out about Rincon de La Vieja. We want to get some rainforest time in.

What's your take on the hotel? Do you think we will get what we are looking for?

Also, we are thinking of going to Costa Rica in Januaruy or February. We are very flexible with the month or week so is there a "better" time to go during those two months. I know it's their busy time. We usually traveled in July because I was teaching but we would like to go away this winter.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really can't express my appreciation more

3. Re: Advice/ tips for traveling to this area with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 06:15