We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

We are 3 travelers and are flying into LIberia on June 13th to June 20th. We basically have only from Saturday to Thurs in Costa Rica. We are targeting three days to spend in the Rincon De La Vieja area to do the adventure tour in Hacienda Guancilein, visiting the main park, and seeing the Cortes waterfall. On Monday or Tues, we are targeting to go to white water raft in Tenorio. After that, this leaves Tues to Thurs as unknown. Should we go to MonteVerde or Arenal in that area? We will not be renting a car, so will have to hire private transport. Is it worth the expense of private transport to go outside the area to Monteverde, La Fortuna, Arenal or better to stay in Rincon given only 6 days?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

I would just go to the beach for your last two days. You can take the bus from Liberia to Playas del Coco which is only 30 minutes from LIR -- either by bus or by taxi. You could also have Guachipelin arrange a private driver for you, if you prefer.

You can do everything you want to do with organized tours which you can arrange through Hacienda Guachipelin. But.... it will be more expensive, in the long run, than renting a car.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

I would consider the time it takes to get from point A to point B. Guachepelin to Arenal is 2,5 hours.on nicely paved roads Guachepelin to Monteverde similar time but part of the route from Tilaran is over some of most marginal roads in CR. Pretty drive, but at 15 to 20 MPH.

Caterata de Cortes is on the way to Arenal or Monteverde is a short detour off the Pan Am about 45 minutes south of Liberia, but will add at least 1.5 hours including time to visit the falls. There is a small parking lot about 1km from the falls main parking lot. Driving to the falls main lot depends on condition of the access road to the falls lot.from the first lot. This section is often muddy and rutted. If so you can still walk in. . Then you need to scramble down a rock and root path to view the falls.. Spectaular, and in my opinon, something that should be seen if in the area..We approached the falls on a visit and were the only ones there. As we neared the water hundreds of small yellow butterflies took off. Anorher visit and there were perhaps 20 people swimming and picnikking. As you can tell I liked the place!

Remember in planning CR National Parks are closed on Mondays. The Cortes falls are NOT closed to my knowledge

Enjoy the trip!

Edited: 22 February 2015, 01:35
East Hartford...
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

Not ALL national parks are closed on mondays...and even MA is open on mondays this year during high season

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

Just noticed the date of Jen's post. They went June 2014. Wonder how they did.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

I did not find the roads around Tilaran difficult. We got lost.. turned east before Lake Arenal, ended up on goat paths south of the Lake, not a road. Scenery was beautiful; found a little town on the south shore and had a nice lunch and met some wonderful people. The highway itself has blind spots and is hilly but is mostly good ( a few big potholes) but I rate it good compared to the Nicoya Peninsula, where most of the roads aren't paved.

I have driven to Rincon de la Vieja twice and really like the area; the drive is easy.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

Based on your information…I will head to the beach….just no more than couple hours…is Tamarindo…great beach a lot of young people around…and about 1.5 hours…Coco Beach and Hermosa beach great couple beaches…

roadadvisor

7. Re: Is it worth it to travel outside Rincon de la Vieja wout Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2016, 05:16