We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

Which Paro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

Does anyone know how long the hike is to Tiger's Nest.

And also the time it takes to go to the Cafe?

Is the altitude a real hinderance for 60 + in pretty good shape?

I'm trying to find out if you need to put aside an entire day for this journey.

Thanks,

MB

Philadelphia...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

Taktshang Goemba [Tiger's Nest] is Bhutan's most famous monastery.

It will take the greater part of a day to reach the monastery - and return.. It should take about 2- hours to reach the "cafe." -- and then another one hour to reach the monastery. My advice is to go by pony to the "cafe" --however, you must walk down. Only you will know if "the altitude is a real hinderance" -- as you understand your body the best.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

MB,

There's no need to take a pony if you're in good (or even average) shape. Just take your time, bring snacks, and plenty of water, and remember that there's no need go at the swift pace your young guide might like to set. It's best to start in the morning when temperatures are cooler and get up to the temples at the top before the monk caretakers break for lunch. We went spent the morning hiking up and visiting the temples, and had lunch at the cafeteria on the way down--that left much of the afternoon free.

If you think altitude might be a problem, save the Takstang hike for the end of your trip and do shorter hikes to Tango/Cheri monastery (outside of Thimphu) first. For most people, the altitude of the places (ca 3000 meters, 10,000ft ) you visit on cultural tours are not a problem.

I'm a 60+ woman in moderately good shape and have hiked up to Takstang and similar temples (all on the tops of mountains) with no problems. Have a great trip!

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
830 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

I would pretty much go along with KC's comments. My wife and I were in our mid 60's in 2008 and took our time. The hike to the temple overlooking the monestary wasn't all that bad. It's not steep. The bigger challange are the steps down the side of the hill and then the steps back up to the monestary and the return. We took our time and were OK. We had a late lunch at the cafeteria. As KC has noted I'd plan for most of the day. We also did the visit toward the end of the trip, so we were pretty much acclimitized.

Paro
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

I had a 83 years old guest from US who did Tigers Nest in 6 hours. No ponies all the way.

You should be able to do it without any problem. It will be easier to do Tiger's Nest at the end of the trip after you are acclimatised with the local altitude.

Wishing your a wonderful time in Bhutan.

UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

Age is not truly a determinant of altitude sickness - if anything theoretically younger people are more likely to have problems as their is less room in the skull for the extra fluid accumulation that altitude can cause - as you get older shrinkage of the brain means there is more room.

Go slowly, you should be able to walk and hold a conversation comfortably - if you cannot do this, slow down until you can. Altitude is very much a hare vs tortoise race!

Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

If you are 60+ its better to keep a day for the Tigers Nest. It all depends whether you want to go up to the Cafeteria or up to the main monastery. Its worth going up to the monastery itself and it would normally take you around 3 hours to reach there. Bhutan2008 gives you details about the monastery.

http://www.bhutan2008.bt/en/node/395

Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

Thank you all for the information on Tiger's Nest.

What is the trail like. Do I have to have hiking boots, trail shoes????

What kind of weather should I prepare for on this hike in the second week of November?

MB

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
830 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

Misty:

From the base up to the temple the trail is basically dirt with a few steps. After that it's stone steps down the side of a hill and back up to the temple. Either hiking boots or trail shoes will work fine. A lot of folks were just wearing athletic shoes.

We were there the first week of November and it was clear the day we went and not that hot.

singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

it depend on how you walk, normally for usual walk, it takes only 4hours both way... So take it easy and ofcourse i would recommend you to do at the end of your trip..

Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tiger's nest Paro Bhutan

As recommended by BluePhantom it shold be fine with athletic shoes, which will be comfortable and light to hike. But It also depends on the weather, if it rains than I would recommend a hiking boots.