We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger's Nest

Which Paro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Deering, NH
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger's Nest

If I were to walk up at a slow pace for about one hour and then go back down, would I see any monastery views? Would I see anything besides trees, flowers, etc?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
651 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger's Nest

I understand your worries about hiking up Tiger Nest Temple.

If you only hike for one hour, you will get to see the temple at a far distance at some point during the hike. To get the best view of the temple, you need to hike to the second station which is directly opposite the temple.

You will see trees along the way but not flowers during autumn. I would suggest you to take the pony ride to the first station, and hike one hour to the second station. At least, you can have seen a good view of the temple instead of a far distance view.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger's Nest

You'll see the Temple from the valley, but far away up. Why do you want to walk only one hour? Take your time and get there slowly. And if you decide to take a pony, remember that you have to walk down, you cannot take the pony down. As you walk in the forest but with many openings to see the temple getting closer, you'll see the surrounding mountains, the vegetation, in autumn with beautiful colours, between yellow, brown and red, and prayerflags.

In this post you can read a description of the hike:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g321541-i10044-k4946900-Tiger_s_Nest_our_particular_climb-Paro_Paro_District.html

This post is in the trip reports, in the top questions section in the right upper part of our main page, in case you cannot open it directly.

I hope to hear that you made it and enjoyed it as well.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 19:38
Deering, NH
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger's Nest

Thanks very much Miguitar and Bhutantraveller for your helpful responses! I needed to know that if my legs fail me just part way up to the cafeteria, the effort will have been worth it. Ah, if only I were 20 years younger! :) In any case, I'm encouraged by your descriptions!

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger's Nest

i just returned from a visit to Bhutan. One of the highlights of our trip was certainly the hike to Tiger's Nest.

It will take a reasonably fit person two hours to reach Tiger's Nest. About one hour into the hike up, you will reach a rest area (tea-shop) where you can have some tea & biscuits, and view Tiger's Nest from a distance.

Thereafter, the second hour's trek will get you to your destination.

After you have spent about 45 minutes at Tiger's Nest itself, you can commence the trek down, which will take the reasonably fit person two hours to get down.

However, if you don't reckon yourself to be all that fit, or if you want to take a really slow walk, you can do what I did .... which was to take a slow 4 hour hike up, spend 45 minutes at the top, and then take a slow 4 hour hike down.

If you begin your hike at 8am, one should be able to complete this slow-motion trek and return to the start point by 5pm, with daylight to spare, to get back to your hotel.

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger's Nest

Hi Paula,

I just re-read your post ... the one about being 20 years younger ...!

Don't despair - I hope this is of further encouragement to you : One other individual from our party of 4 persons who completed the trek within that 8 hour time period (4 hours up & 4 down) was a 70 year old gentleman...who of course, walked very slowly, but surely.

Our guide (tour operator) was very encouraging as well, explaining to us how he walked an even older lady up and down quite recently. She took 8 hours as well in total. And he was with her all the way.

I suppose it is important, in situations like this, for your to link up with an operator or guide who is both sensible (so as to assess your fitness situation correctly) and reliable (one who does not scoot off just because he cannot keep with your pace).

We linked up with SmileBhutan for this 5 night visit to Bhutan. And we found them extremely good. Their guide who spent all 6 days with us (including the hike up to Tiger's Nest) was dependable, and honest. And he was a repository of information for all things Bhutan.

In blink of an eye, I'd use their services again the next time I visit that Kingdom of Happiness.

kuala lumpur
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger's Nest

Hi Paula, If i can do it surely you can. At 70 I had to option of going half way on a pony. i took a look at others riding up using the 4 legged friend and decided not to torture the poor animal with my weight on it. (But the animal takes it all in a stride, i tell you). My guide encouraged me to walk and he kept me company all the way. i found the second part of the hike all too strenuous because before get to tiger's net there is a stair case going all the way down and then all the way up. But i did it and the guide was with me beckoning me from up or encouraging me on from down. The hike was the highlight of our trip and believe me it is worth it. the guide, he was very professional in all his dealing with us . reach him at smilebhutan . peter

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
41 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger's Nest

I will be going to Bhutan in October and Tiger's Nest is on our itinerary. If we opted for the ponies is the trail near cliffs etc. as I am afraid of heights (if close to the edge). Would you say that it is a must to go all the way to enter the monestary as I understand that if afraid of heights that part could be a real challenge. If I opted not to go but the other two in our group did is there a way to easily meet up with them? I have read all the notes about the fitness level required. We are mid-fifties, reasonably fit I suppose but live at sea level and rarely even have to climb stairs.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger's Nest

No real cliffs, but remember that the path goes up on a mountain, so sometimes you'll see the valley down. You never ride alone, every pony has its owner next to it. And from all the people who rode up, you didn't hear anything about cliffs. Don't worry too much, see how it goes and how you feel the day of the hike, look at the ponies and decide if you want to ride. Anytime on the way you can decide to stop, and walk, or turn around. You'll see the Monastry form the valley,getting slowly closer. And if you decide to walk up more,again you can decide to stop and return. On one of my trips, two people stopped at the top of the stairs, and wated there for us. That was when there weren't any ralings and the stairs were rather frightening. Now the stairs are wider, and with the ralings it is very easy. Nothing is a must, but if you make it, you'll feel great. Enjoy your trip.

Deering, NH
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tiger's Nest

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my questions in my several posts about Tiger's Nest. I appreciated your encouragement and am happy to tell you all that I (slowly) made it to the 2nd station. What an amazing view from there!!! I didn't have the energy to do the steps, but was thrilled to get as far as I did.

Here's some feedback that may be helpful to others contemplating this hike - keep in mind that I am nearing 70 and my idea of exercise is playing golf several times a week!

1. It took us 2 1/2 or 3 hours to get to the cafeteria, with frequent stops to catch my breath along the way

2. The hike is beautiful and would have been worth it even if we didn't make it to the cafeteria

3. The hike from the caf to the 2nd station was much steeper and harder for me, but worth the effort - you are almost looking down on the monastery and it is amazingly close!

4. The way down was really hard on my knees and I held onto our guide most of the time, bless his heart. One hand was on my guide's arm and the other held my walking stick. I thought I'd never get down the mountain.

5. Overall, the roundtrip to the 2nd station took us about 6 or 6 1/2 hours, including many stops to catch breath, take photos, admire scenery, etc, plus time for tea and biscuits at the caf on the way up.

6. Would I do it again? Absolutely!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
651 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tiger's Nest

Great to hear your story on the hike to Tiger Nest Temple. And I glad that you make it to the second station to get the great view of the temple.

Tell you a secret. For a thirty plus lady here, I used 8 hours to complete the whole hike to the temple for my second attempt. Partly because I was not feeling well.

So you are doing very well at your age to reach the second station without any help from the pony.

Happy for you. May you be blessed by Guru Padmasambhava. :)

Get answers to your questions about Paro