We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

Hi fellow Aussies.

Just looking for breakfast items from supermarkets as we will self cater breakfast in our apartment.

Do the supermarkets at Niseko have western food? Any cereal, eggs, bacon, fresh milk etc. I understand that the fresh fruit is really expensive. I know the bread is sweet so toast will be like our fruit breads.

Just looking for breakfast items as we will self cater breakfast in our apartment.

Thanks

Pam

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

Virtually all supermarkets sell eggs, milk, cereal, yogurt, fruit, bread, English muffins, ham, bacon, pancake mix. Note that Japanese bacon most often tastes like fatty ham. Bread is sweet only if you choose sweet breads like croissants and Danish. Bread for toast is white and not sweet, though it is usually sliced thicker than I like. You can choose how many slices in the loaf, most common being 5 or 6, but I like 10. The bread is really spongy so it makes fantastic French toast.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

Niseko has two small convienience stores. Most basic food products can be found in the convenience store including eggs, milk, butter, bread, juice, fruit, alcohol, fast food and chocolates. These shops can get crowded.

There is a large supermarket in Kutchan. Maxvalu has a huge array of fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, prepared dinners, seafood and many consumer products that can be found in western supermarkets. It's worth taking the bus there to get all your basic requirements upon arrival.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 21:38
tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

A Japanese supermarket you can find most of the items you are looking for.

Eggs, fruit. You can also find chicken, steak/beef, pork, seafood items tomatoes, potatoes etc etc. Many of these are essentially to Japanese dishes as well as to "western" dishes.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 21:47
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

There's a night bus into Kutchan which you pay some small fee for (I think it was something like 200yen for a 5 night pass). The bus stops out front of both. Most western style foods are very easily identified, but be careful looking for dairy products, eg. some yoghurts are in cartons that look like they are milk.

I think MaxValu take credit card, but I shopped at the supermarket closer to the train station so I'm not sure, the one near the train station doesn't take credit card. I also recommend taking a back pack to make it easier getting everything back to Niseko on the bus.

White bread is easy to get, and tasted almost the same as here, maybe a bit heavier. If you're willing to pay for it, the bakery near the seicomart also do wholemeal and multigrain, but you need to get in VERY early! As for fruit, as long as you were happy with the local fruit you won't have a problem. I think a bag of apples cost around $5. Just avoid the rockmelons!

If you like coco pops, give their's a go... they put kellogs to shame, and if you feel the need, you can also pick up an adult size Buzz Lightyear costume :-)

Also, make sure you allow plenty of time to look around - shopping there is an adventure in itself, and keep an eye out for the 4L bottles of sake (that look like water bottles) for 1500yen... easy to spot, they are right up the front.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

Thanks everyone for the fantastic feedback about shopping in Niseko, it does sound like a bit of an adventure.

Cheers

Pam

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,821 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

The Niseko convenience stores get "raided" in the early evening when the day's skiing is over, sometimes resulting in a few empty shelves. Plan your shopping accordingly.

7. Re: Supermarkets in Niseko - Aussies what do they have????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Niseko-cho